Thread: Lets try again.

Lets try again.

Would it be best to add a wood burner to my existing duct work and furnace, or buy a multi fuel model that is both gas and wood?

Re: Lets try again.

Hello Duane.
    First off, welcome to CBN!

I am not sure I can be of much assistance. I looked at adding a wood burner to our system a few years ago but could not get past the permits and regulations. In fact, it started to seem that there was a move to not allow wood burning heat sources of any sort so I gave up on it.

The folks here on CBN and the sister site of TBN are good folks that will share if they have information they think would be valuable.

I will see if I have any information at home although I think all I have is related to wood burning water heaters.

Mark

I don't know a durn thing about it but there is something to think about that might make the decision easier. How old is your existing furnace? If it's only a year or two old an add on might be in order. If it's ten years old it would probably be a good idea to go ahead and replace it with a combo unit and be done with it.

I'd agree with others that you need to look at the age of your current unit ... but I'd also add that I'm always leery of combination units. You're going to be pretty limited in people who can service it and there's much more to go wrong when the two personalities of the unit try to coexist.
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

I currently do not have any furnace it is a new house. I am trying to decide witch is the best way to go for heat and central air. plane gas furnace with and on wood burner or combo gas wood. Gas price is out of control and only going up . I looked at outdoor wood burners but the price was too high.

Do you have a good source of wood and do you want to put in the work to use wood. A lot of work to cut split and feed the furnace. If you are buying wood is it cost effective per btu and your time?

Just some things to think on.

I all of the wood I will ever need avaliable to me. The work does not bother me , I actualy enjoy it. My work is seasonal so time is not a problem either.

I would definitely go with wood burner. We use one all winter long and our highest bill has been $62. Alot of people don't like the mess or time but it keeps you from gaining too much weight over the winter. And if you have the gas or electric back-up it's not a problem to not use it when it isn't convenient. BTW it's also nice to have the house at whatever temp. you like rather than worrying about keeping the thermostat down. It's nice to run around the house in shorts rather than all bundled up in sweats. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Richard,
    Does yours have a back up? And, if so, is it gas or electric? Do you have a preference?

Mark