Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's my .410?!

Re: Where\'s my .410?!

wow, I thought it was cold here at 14 degrees. I have never owned a gun made by savage. I think New England Firearms makes one with the interchangeable barrels, but not between .22 and shotgun. It would be very handy to have the combo double if it wasn't overly expensive. I decided to send my old Ruger to the factory and have it rebuilt. I have had that one for 33 years and I guess I just do not want to part with it. Dave

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    .22 single shot bolt action with iron sights. I had a .22 autoloader but it was heavier and wasteful with ammo

[/ QUOTE ]

I started with a Remington single shot bolt action when I was 10 years old, then when I was 15 I got enough money together to trade it in on a semi-auto Stevens. Didn't get any more game, but sure used lots more ammo. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] But it was fun. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Then less than a year after I got my first .22, I got one of my great grandfather's double barreled 12 gauge with the side hammers, well worn and a little loose, but still worked OK. And before long, I got another great grandfather's single shot, break open .410 and even though it was quite old, it was just like new, and was a great handling and shooting little gun.

I preferred the .22 because I didn't like picking the shot out of the game I was eating, but used the shotgun for birds and hunting rabbits from the fender of the car at night. And to keep from having so many pellets to pick out, I never used anything but #4 shot.

Here's a link to the H&amp;R with the .22 and .410 barrels.

http://www.hr1871.com/firearms/index...p;subcat=10#29
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

LOL, Gary I just noticed your signature. That's classic [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Like everyone else I use a little more ammo with the SA but .22 loads are fairly inexpensive. I too like the 22 for grouse, especialy in the dense cedars. At my place if you can set long enough with out freezing they just walk by. We have so many my wife started calling them Cedar Chickens. I did see another gun with changeable barrel. A 20 guage and a 22. I was thinking the the NEF guns were only available in centerfire rifle/shotgun combos. The NEF stuff is really kinda neat. You have to appreciate a tool like that that's under $150 with todays prices. Dave

I saw one at a gun show last year, don't remember the manufacturer, it was a 20Ga with another barrel in .17 rimfire. I was thinking it was H&amp;R, but didn't see it on their website.

I think this is it: http://www.rossiusa.com/products/pro...ry=MATCHEDPAIR

It's made by Rossi. The link shows .17HMR and 12Ga. but the text seems to indicate it's available in .17 and 20Ga. That's the one I'd want. And the MSRP is $180 US. Seems like a good deal. Sure, it's not an O/U, but the price is right!

What do you think?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Hey Dave, If you have something that you like, It requires no defense if you decide to spend more fixing it than it cost, is worth, or could be replaced for. I have jump boots older than some of the folks on CBN but they aren't nearly worn out and I will keep them as long as they are servicable. I feel that way about any GOOD stuff irrespective of age.

I still have my grand dads single shot 12 ga that my dad used on running squirrels. It is pretty old but not Damascus twist steel and will take modern loads safely. It is missing the bead and the recoil pad fell off somewhere (I may find it yet.) Time permiting I'll clean it up nicely, and display it along with my dads first rifle, a single shot bolt action .22, a 1910 Gecko from Germany. It is still a shooter but not too convenient since when I inherited it it had been loaned out and came back missing the ejector. As a 10-12 year old gunsmith in training, I fabricated a part using my typical source for steel, a 16 penny nail. The lower 180 degrees of the shell is supported by my part which doesn't fit all so well and each case fire forms to its irregularity and requires a flick of a pocket knife to eject the spent casing. Not good for a high rate of fire but it shoots. Never had a case rupture in it so I am not too concerned for safety. Not bad I guess for hammering a lump of nail together and filing it to shape, sort of.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird, They sure don't make cars the way they use to, do they? How the heck are you supposed to sit astraddle of the right front fender and lock a foot onto a bumperette (to avoid falling off when the driver doges bumps and accelerates in a spirited manner to close the range on a big jack "trapped" between the glare of the right and left headlights) when there just isn't any safe position. Maybe big suction cups might help. OF course when there are multiple shooters you can use a pickup if available. We found 3 shooters to be OK bracing our feet and leaning out on top of the cab. Of course it helped when the pickup had auxilliary lighting, like a couple spot lights, one either side.

My dad's older sister was always up to go for jacks and had a 3 shot bolt action .410 which I now have. She taught highschool biology in Duncan to multiple generations of students. So much for lady school teachers being reserved stick inthe mud types. She was also an avid frogging companion. The only long term failure we had as hunting partners was trying to shoot a crow to cook and eat so we could say we ate crow. They are smart buggers and stayed well out of range of her .410 (and my grand dads 12 ga too).

I think the statute of limitations has long since expired for our shooting on, across, or from a road or from a vehicle. If everyone who did that in Oklahoma went to jail back then there wouldn't be enough folks left on the outside to have fed us.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary, The nautical types have an expression, "never go to sea with two watches." Either one or three is better. If three you can eliminate the odd flyer. If one, just trust it.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Springfield amory m-6 scoput survival gun .22 up and .410 down. OK gun, very basic but very durable. Not to bad in accuracy.

Dane

Pat, we never had a pickup available for our nighttime rabbit hunts, but it wasn't too bad on the front fender of my '46 Chevy, or even the '48 Olds, but we were really in tall cotton when I got a '56 Mercury convertible and my buddy had a '52 Pontiac convertible.

I only fell off the fender of the Chevy once when my buddy accelerated hard and went over a terrace just as I fired the 12 gauge at a jackrabbit in a pasture southeast of Marietta.

And, yep, the statute of limitations has expired; however, we also paid a fine for one night's rabbit hunt, too, when I was 18. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] When I applied to the police department nearly 6 years later, I told them about that, but they found there's no record. We gave the money to the constable to take to the justice of the peace and you can guess where that went. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]