Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Water preasure

Re: Water preasure

The pressure on the output of the tank can't be higher than the input pressure. I'm assuming you thinking of an accumulator such as you already have.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary,
    What you wrote make sense. I though somewhere in this post or maybe another someone wrote they installed or recommended a pressure tank after the softner in addition to the one before but I may have been mistaken. I guess the only way to increase pressure is to run the treated water thru another pump - which I'm not considering.

What should the pressure be on this tank? I put a tire gauge on the valve and it showed 35 PSI. I know that typical pressure for residential is 40 PSI. Can I add air to this tank with a pump? By adding air will that help increase pressure?

Shawn

A post softener pressure tank will end up at the same pressure as a pre softener pressure tank when the system stabilizes. As soon as you start using water the post pressure may drop according to the pressure drop across the filter. You can add air to the tank.

Egon

Re: Water pressure

I'm the one that has a pressure tank after softener. It has helped tremendously. No it will not have a higher pressure than before the softener. But you must clarify this. It will not have a higher pressure than the highest pressure going into it. At times of no or low water flow, the tank will fill and the pressure will be the same everywhere and that pressure will be the pump pressure (at surface). (I know that tank precharge settings enter this but I'm trying not to overcomplicate.) And you'll have a whole tankful of water at that pressure ready to gush into the house without being restricted by softener, filter, etc. Let's say your pump puts out 40 psi, then you'll have 40 psi in this tank. But without the tank, when you turn on the shower . That 40 psi coming from your main tank is reduced by whatever pressure drop that restrictions like softeners and filters put on the line. Maybe 5 psi at high flow. Maybe more if filters are dirty. The secondary tank helps buffer this pressure drop. Of course, after a while the tank supply is robbed and you'll have the same situation as if you didn't have the second tank. But hopefully you're through with your shower by then... I know it's made a big difference for us. I've been tempted to put one of the really small tanks as a third tank under the bathroom sink. To give me a supply close to the need. Someone used the term accumulator. Though not completely correct, a pressure tank does indeed act as an accumulator. And when the electricity shuts off, it is more usable water.

I had a Water Boss once. They had me clean it with something called "Iron Out" I think. It's used for, among other things, removing iron stains. It's probably the same stuff. Definitely flush it as much or more than they recommend. But you'll be okay.

Thanks Guys,
    I'll sit back and observe awhile and if I become unhappy I'll hook up my Honda pressure washer and pump 2500 psi out the shower head. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hey just think of the savings in soap. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Shawn

Re: Water pressure

You're right! I had not considered that the downstream tank could make up for the softener's restriction. For a while at least.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I lookked at my pumps, and it seems as if they are a little worn. I think I'll be in the market to get a couple of new ones. I currently have 1/2 HP pumps, Should I go with higher powered pumps? If so, How much larger?
    By the way thanks for all the information, it seems as if a few others are being helped out also.
    A house,truck, and 4 acers, let the farming begain

MY PUMP KICKS ON AND OFF LIKE EVERY TWO SECONDS WHEN I RUN WATER MY PUMP RUNS TO A BLATTER TANK THEN TO A SOFTER THEN THROUGH A FILTER THE SOFTNER IS ONLY THREE MONTHS OLD HOW MUCH AIR SHOULD BE IN THE BLATTER TANK INFO ON THIS WOULD BE VERY HELP FUL THANKS

Ohio Pure Water has much information about this matter.