Thread: Any Florida Farmers Here?

Any Florida Farmers Here?

I'm looking for some advice from local farmers, So I know the does and don'ts of farming in Florida.
    A house,truck, and 4 acers, let the farming begain

Re: Any Florida Farmers Here?

What are you planning on farming?

First thing! Go to the County Extension office and get a soil analysis test kit. Send it to UF, and find out the pH of the soil, nutrients, etc... Once you know about your soil, you can plan accordingly.

Good Luck,

Joe

Trees, citrus, strawberries, vegetable crops, cows, horses? You will get a better response if you give some details on what you are looking to do.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

What Dave said, also... diversify, diversify, diversify.

Last year oranges were 4.50 a box, this year 1.50.

Last year hogs were a dime a dozen, this year, hard to come by, not to mention there was an epidemic of pneumonia and we lost two of our best sows and almost lost one boar. Plus this year parasites (innards and outarrds were a nightmare to control)

Last year you could get 70.00 for a full grown goat, this year, you'd be lucky to get 40.00

This year I sold more adult chickens than I have the last three years combined, but I can't give away the eggs. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Spread it around. Best advice I can offer, and expect at least one person in the house to hold down a full time job. Indefinitely.

I don't think 4 acres will do much for any large animals and smaller ones would still be pretty small numbers and risky. Vegetables might be a good try. Check with green grocers and see what high value crops you might be able to sell. Pearl onions, artichokes, specialty cucumbers, something wth a decent return from a small acreage. I second the diversification, soil testing, and other advice here.

If you want to sell to the public just grow a variety of things like various peppers, tomatos, whatever is popular in your area.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I plan on a small orgainic field for personal consumption, and maybe share with neighbors and friends. My wife wants to start training horses again. I thought about letting a few cattle eat down the small paster, so I don't need to bush hog it every week. I would like to get any tax break possible (because of the cheep skate I am). So if I put something on it, how many and what to put on it?
    A house,truck, and 4 acers, let the farming begain