Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hay silage for the complete novice

Hay silage for the complete novice

I have only the sketchiest idea of what it is, who eats it, how to make it and what can go wrong, but I would like to find out about hay silage. Wondering if it is possible to do on a small scale (an acre) and how to find out about it. I am hoping to be feeding it to sheep, goats and possibly other grass eaters in the future. Mark

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Re: Hay silage for the complete novice

Around here, in upstate New York, we call it haylage. Haylage is used primarily as a feed for cows. I think that it is probably too rich for goats and sheep to be fed large amounts of haylage.

Haylage can easily be made on a small scale. It can even be made in plastic garbage bags, by putting freshly cut grass in them. The grass ferment, and becomes haylage. I just don't remember how long it takes, though I'm sure someone of this board will.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

The farmer across the street wrapped bales this fall.. using them to feed this winter. 2-3 Months?.. I'm just guessing.

If he wrapped bales, he wasn't making haylage, he was just protecting them from the elements. Haylage needs to be made from loose hay, so that it has lots of surface area for the bacteria to ferment it.
    Rich

In the making of silage or haylage.. the material is packed tight to prevent the air from contacting the silage.. if it's loose.. it will mold(not good - can kill or make animals fed sick). The wrapping of the bales of high moisture content material is to make silage/halage.. this was bailed sorghum the farmer was wrapping.

For more info check out: http://www.exnet.iastate.edu/Publications/DR15.pdf

Sorry, I thought a bale was wrapped too tight to make haylage. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Around here most people used haylage bunkers to make haylage.
    Rich

Hi Rich!! How have you been? Haven't talked to you for awhile. Do you see our friend John much? I sure miss talking to him. Nice to see you're becoming such a good farmer.

As far as sileage it is made either way. It is rolled up in plastic sheeting or you chop it and then put it in sileage bins like you have seen.

Take care.

BTW how are those horses doing?

You could be right w/ hay.. this farmer was doing sorghum.. I'll have to ask him about hay.

It's kinda new.. the new round bailers that allow you to bale high moisture content material is what makes it possible.

The wrapped bales remind of big marshmellows.. what the farmers like about it is the ease of handling when feeding.. they can spear it and carry it like a regular bale. When they are just moving it.. they use grabber arms that doesn't spear the wrapping.

With the big tubes and silage pits.. they have to use the FEL to scoop it up for feeding.. usually they have more waste from spilling etc.

Cowboydoc has the answers.. how long does it take to ferment to make silage? Does the outside temp. change the length of time?

I have also heard that haylage is not good food for sheep or goats from a few people that raise them for a living...why do you want to feed haylage to sheep and goats anyway? why not just feed them hay?