Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gravel driveway

gravel driveway

I'm looking to rake a 450' gravel (3/8" stone) driveway and the only equipment I have is a Scotts (Deere) lawn tractor. I need to attach a rake and wonder if anyone has seen such a rake (nothing on the Deere site) or have any home-made ideas?? driveway is currently getting awfully bumpy and starting to pothole...Thanks!

Re: gravel driveway

When potholes begin to form, raking the loose stones around on top won't help a bit. At best, it will look better but be only temporary. I've maintained a 600' gravel drive for 35+ years, and there are no shortcuts, IMO.

You need to grade the top layer of gravel, mixing in the fines with the washed stones on top, cutting down to at least the bottom of the potholes, and then distributing the mixed gravel evenly, after which the gravel should be packed (I use the car or truck to do this, driving back and forth until all the leveled gravel mix is packed, before it has a chance to dry out or get rained on).
    A lawn tractor won't do it. The best equipment to do the job is a road grader. Minimum is a blade on a tractor, preferrably not a rear blade, but with a lot of time, even that can work. It takes a lot of very careful work to not make a bigger mess than what you start with.
    I hope this information helps, and I didn't mean to put down your task or dilemna. I want to pass on the best help that I can.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! No easy fixes in life....

Well, and if I didn't have a road grader I might be tempted to buy a small blade. Certainly Deere has something. If they don't, Sears does. I'd probably see if one of the neighbors has a box blade and wants to make a few bucks. This is the right way to do it.

The best thing that happened on our 600' drive was having a grader go over it while putting extra 3/4-AB down. Then it was rolled with a roller.

There was work going on in the neighborhood, so I had the company add some gravel, which we needed. When they rolled it though, what a difference! IT packed really tight, and is still in really good condition 3 years later!

One can play at smoothing out gravel driveways but only the large equipment will provide a suitable job.

Egon

I use a small drag to work it up the made a leveler out of 4x4s.

mikell

A bobcat with a KNOWLEDGEABLE operator works wonders too.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

I bet Slyder has a Bobcat! : )
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

Egon's right - to really smooth a gravel drive, the bigger the equipment the better. I use a fairly small CUT to maintain my drive - but to get it into decent shape I had to use bigger equipment. A garden tractor isn't going to be able to fix one up, I'm afraid. I suppose it could be done, but would take a heck of a lot of time - I'd recommend renting a larger piece of equipment (maybe a decent sized CUT with a box blade and top-n-tilt?).

Once you do that and get the drive into good shape, you might be able to get away with using your garden tractor with a small blade to keep it up...