Thread: South Texas - McCartney Rose & Yellow Nutsedge

South Texas - McCartney Rose & Yellow Nutsedge

We have 400 acres that's all in pasture now, as some of it was previously farm ground. We have McCartney Rose, that my great-grandfather planted as a permanent fence-line that continues to take over a pasture, down here what we call rose hedges that grow as big as a school bus. I used my father-in-laws backhoe and my small FEL to clear about 40 acres which I'll finish burning piles when allowed.

I need to go back and spray the small ones I missed early spring, and those that come back up. Has anyone had success with Grazon P+D or anything else to broadcast over them?

I've used Remedy or Garlon to spot spray but the only thing I found that really KILLs them is Spike granules.

We also have Yellow Nutsedge that's spreading because the renter normally shreds after it seeds out. I'd like to spray this and plan to use Weedmaster. Anyone been successful in controlling or killing this plant?

Once I get this all cleaned up I want to improve the pasture with Jigs or our Alicia hay we currently harvest.

Re: South Texas - McCartney Rose & Yellow Nutsedge

My Dad lived in Inez he had lots of those things when he bought the place the only thing that worked was the granules don't remember the brand but sprays just seem to make em grow. Positively do not mow em you will just spread them every where. As i remember the stuff was terribly expensive $150 for 5 gallon pale or something like that.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually about 25-30 miles East of Inez. Grazon P+D is claimed to work great but it tends to be expensive as well.

Our local chemical companies and Farmer's Coop say to use Grazon. Since we pushed the acreage clear, it would be easy to broadcast spray. I just don't want to spend a lot of money and have to keep doing it.

Tordon, I believe is what it was called, pellets used to work well I think.

Tordon can be injected as a liquid. The applicator shoots a cc or whatever it is adjusted for into the ground below the surface. Shoot it near the plant you want to kill. The plant's roots take it up and it works pretty good. It avoids wind drift. It is pretty effective against persimmons too.

Grazon P+D with some Remedy and a good surfactant makes a good spot spray for our Rosa Multiflora (wild rose) which tries to take over if left to spread.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"