Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: silly wabbits...smarter than me

silly wabbits...smarter than me

Well, I finally went rabbit hunting last Saturday evening. The sun was just touching the horizon in the west, and the moon was a pale half circle about halfway up the eastern sky, when I set out to the grove with my shiny, clean gun, and a pocketful of shells.

For me to walk out to the grove by myself is unusual, and to do it at this time of the day is down right odd, so it didn't surprise me much when I looked back and found out that I had a parade behind me. Six goats, Salem (Jenny's black cat), and Slick, the eighty pound pup, were all following me. I did not have a lot of hope of finding and shooting any rabbits with this entourage, but I had to laugh.

After about twenty yards the goats decided that I didn't have a feed bucket, and went on their way. About the same time, Salem fell over on his side, and began playing with a blade of grass. Slick stayed with me, but followed about ten feet behind, and each time I would stop and turn around and look at him, I put my finger to my lips and shushed him, and I swear if he knew enough to nod, he would have. He seemed to know exactly what I was up to. I would take a half dozen steps and then stop and look and listen, and each time I did, he would stop dead still and gaze at me with startlingly, intelligent brown eyes that looked out of a deceptively goofy marmaduke-like face, still maintaining that ten foot boundary.

I guess he recognized stalking behavior when he saw it, because he was practically on tippy toe the whole time, but I felt for all the world like Elmer Fudd. Finally when I was about halfway through the grove he turned off silently and went back to the house, and I was kind of sad. It seemed to me that he would have been good company if his current behavior had been any indication.

I reached the back of the grove without seeing anything save a few little birds and there sat the woods in front of me. My options were to enter the woods or to turn around and walk the grove again, and that had been boring the first time, so I was not keen to do it again. Since I had promised myself not to go into the woods alone, mainly because I am a big chicken, I settled for walking along the edge of the woods. It was this path that led me to the tree stand.

I walked past a clump of palmetto bushes and heard a rattle coming from inside them. In about three seperate places. I suspected that I had startled some rabbits and they dove into the palmettos for cover. As I stood there debating what to do next, I looked up and saw a tree stand that Fred and Jake had put up, and I thought, hey! they must have put that there just for me!

If I climbed up and sat in it for a few minutes, maybe the rabbits would get comfortable enough to come out again. I only had to walk into the woods about ten yards, the stand sat right at the edge of the wetland and looked out over the pasture on the south side of the property.

I walked on over and pulled on the stand to make sure that it was fastened at the top. It was as rigid as concrete and didn't move an inch. I ejected the shell that I had in the .410 and then climbed up carefully, holding on with my right hand and balancing the gun in my left.

I had been listening to all kinds of sounds as I walked. The chirping of birds settling in for the night, the dogs barking way back at the house, the sounds of my own feet crunching twigs and dead grass as I passed through them, a bull bellowing off to the right, and an owl starting his night song off to the left.

I was a little distracted and jittery being so high up off the ground, and the first time the 'new' sound came I basically ignored it. There was something familiar about it, so much so that even the second time I heard it, I almost dismissed it again. Then it dawned on me what I was hearing. It was a deep rattling growl. A feline one.

Directly following that growl was another one of the same type. It seemed that I had stumbled into either a mating ritual or two bobcats fighting over a kill. There is nothing eerier to me than the sound of a wild cat growling and screaming and these two were going at it ninety to nothing. I didn't know if it had been going on when I got there, or if my presence had started it and they were growling at me!

The chilling part was not being able to see them. I have heard cat fights before, many times, and not only did this one have more enthusiasm it was louder and deeper and just plain wilder. This may not be scary to any of the rest of you but I am not ashamed to say I was scared half to death.

If I sat there until they went away I was going to have to walk home in the dark, assuming they went away. I had visions of walking home in the dark and listening to twigs crack behind me and strange rustlings, and I made up my mind which course of action to take faster than I ever have in my life.

Needless to say I went down that stand ladder like I was running down a flight of stairs. I wasn't even hanging on to the rails. All I could think of was putting distance between myself and those two growling cats while it was still daylight.

I hit the ground and didn't slow down until I was out in the middle of the pasture and I could see in all directions and then I started back to the house. It took me about five minutes to calm down and realize that I had never reloaded my gun so I stopped and shoved a shell into it. It was less than three minutes later that I saw the first and only rabbit and I shot, but I missed. Hmmmm. Who didn't see that coming.

I called Fred and told him about what I heard and he said, oh, yes, there's a den of bobcats back there, what do you think got that little nanny goat here about six months back? But no, they rarely attack people, are not much a danger unless you corner them, but like any thing else if you threaten them they will defend themselves, and it could get pretty ugly.

Well, since I couldn't see them, how the heck did I know if I was threatening them in some way, I may have been sitting right between them, or between them and a kill, or between them and their den, and yes I'm a wee bit bigger than a nanny goat but goats are fairly tough creatures and I suspect that in some ways they are tougher than me, and I'll be willing to bet you that they can run a heck of a lot faster than I can, I said.

"Well, yeah," he said, "but that's why you carry that long stick that makes the big bang. That's your equalizer right there."

I didn't bother to tell him that I had forgotten to reload the gun. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] As it turns out, it didn't matter, this time, and like every other stupid stunt I pull, I will look back on this as a learning experience and next time I will be a little smarter. I intend to keep up the rabbit hunting but I also intend to stay clear of the woods. Even the EDGE of the woods. Thank you very much. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: silly wabbits...smarter than me

Cindi, another great story! You certainly have a lot of talent for the written word. Made me feel like I was right there with you. Of course I would have reloaded.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Of course you would have! EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE FREE WORLD would have. Lol! Once I get shaken I stay shaken and I don't recover quickly. I wanna know why this happened to me. Jake and Fred go back there all the time and sit for hours....why me? They never hear them, never see them. They see their tracks and their droppings but that's it. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

If you want to see them put a pile of shelled corn out there on the edge of the woods. They will use it like a bait pile to catch birds. You will often see them at first light at at the end of the day. I have so many Bobcats this year they come out in the afternoon. I had to get out of my deer blind this year and chase one away. The son of a gun came back the same afternoon ! Dave

You my dear are a braver person than me. I have no desire to see them, hearing them was plenty good enough for moi. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The cats are not agressive animals. They are very pretty to watch. Now if you have wild Domestic cats those can be vicious ! When I worked in Restaurants on the Docks in FL when I was younger it was the bottom man on the totem pole that had to take the trash out at 2 am. We had baseball bats to beat the dumpsters with and you had to be very carefull. A 25# Po'd Dock cat was no joke. Dave

Cindi, Thanks for the safety tip! Unloading the gun before climbing up the ladder to the stand, what a novel concept. I don't know about Gary, but that could have been the reason some of us wouldn't have needed to remember to reload.

I never went hunting with anyone a second time if they did anything really dumb the first time. Really dumb includes more things than failing to keep the buisness end pointed in a safe direction. Things like walking along with your finger on the trigger so in case you fall you can reflexively jerk the trigger and shoot yourself or your companion. We humans (yes, I claim membership) have a startle reflex and we tend to jerk/jump some when startled, say like when you flush a covey or a critter suddenly breaks cover right at your feet. I have seen folks "accidently" fire a shot when this happened. Now I don't go anywhere with armed folks if they don't have the good sense to leave their finger off the trigger until they verify a target and have the gun pointed in a safe direction.

My all time hunting safety pet peeve is folks with scoped rifles who shoulder their rifle to use the scope to eyeball other folks instead of carrying, at lease, a small lightweight monocular. If you are the object of attention it looks like you are about to be shot at and has among some of my friends, elicited a defensive reaction of hiting the dirt and bringing their weapon to bear, not an all 'round good thing.

Be safe, y'all,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Always uload before crossing fences or creeks, climbing ladders, or stairs for that matter. No loaded rifles or shotguns in camp either. Of course I was never anywhere that a bear or large cat might be, so it wasn't an issue.

I was tought to cross fences in the following manor:
    Unload rifle or shotgun. Lay on ground pointing away but parallel to fence and close to it.

Climb over or under fence

Reach through fence to retrieve firearms.

Reload

If there are two or more, all but one can cross the fence, then the remaining can pass over to firearms, pointed in a safe direction of course. Then that person crosses the fence and all can reload.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I'm sure you knew I was ony teasing, hinting either of us would not have needed to reload because we would have climbed the treestand loaded.

All your tips work. laying costly guns in the mud or slush or xxx is not first choice for some folks. For sure, it is better to "SAFE" the firearm (emptying the chamber is good) and get your fingers away from the controls than to prop it up on the fence wire or post as some folks do as a mild nod to safety.

I have crossed several electric fences by using the rifle's forearm to depress the fence wire as I cross (rifle not ready to fire, bolt open, safety, on or whatever depending on the firearm). Unfortunately, ONCE (only once) I let the forearm retaining screw head touch the wire while I was astraddle of it and got quite a jolt. Luckily I had the presence of mind (or blind dumb luck) to not lose control of the depressed wire and have it fly up and twang me in the crotch. I can see how if the gun were ready to fire, in all the excitement, if you had your finger near the trigger and a live electric fence wire snug in your crotch, you might acciently fire it.

I have also had a similar experience with a stick that had too much moisture content to be a sufficient insulaltor. I know, why didn't I generalize and extrapolate and avoid the second episode? The gun was used as an insulator, just because of the previous damp stick failure. I may be slow but I'm not stopped.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

What's this crawling under or climbing over fences. Just jump over them.

Egon