Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marinara sauce

marinara sauce

I need a low-fat recipe for marinara sauce for pizza.

Re: marinara sauce

We make homemade pizza all the time. We usually use tomatoe paste for the richness. Spead that on, and then sprinkle with usual spices used in Italian cooking, garlic, marjoram, oregano, ect. Comes out really well.

Saute a few minced cloves of garlic and a half cup of chopped onions in a tablespoon or two of olive oil. Add a few tablespoons of tomato paste (maybe 3 or 4), a splash or two of dry white wine, mix in herbs to taste (oregano, basil, thyme). Let simmer for a few minutes. Adjust thickness, if necessary, with additional wine.

It's quick, easy, and pretty tasty.

Administrator

There may be a few areas of Italy that make a type of sauce with onions, but generally speaking, ONIONS are not in authentic Italian red sauces. The basics are just olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, oregano and (maybe) basil, plus salt. Cook it slowly and a loooong time (around 3 hours).

I know, I know, people put ALL KINDS of things in "their" marinara. But top Italian chefs (including my wife & mother-in-law and HER mother, etc.) make it with just what is above.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Tomatoes are not original to Italian cooking either.... Tomatoes are native to the New World.

Can you imagine Italian cooking BEFORE the New World discovery of Tomatoes?

Hakim:

I surely hope you were talking about vine ripened juicy ripe tomatoes rather than the supermarket tennis ball. I like a few hot peppers in with your recipe and perhaps a little heavier on the basil.

Egon

Well, I was just thinking of a quick red sauce for pizza, not a true marinara.

And speaking of pizza, I've never been able to even come close to duplicating the pizzas I ate in bella Napoli waaay back when. The best ever! Am seriously considering building a wood burning oven.

Hondo:

Rember you have lost many taste buds since then and perhaps the ingredients were of a different variety.

Egon

I was watching a show on TV the other day. I think it was called " The Victory Gardener ". They were doing a piece on a Chef in New Orleans.....naaaaa lens [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] That had convinced a parish Church to give up its parking lot for a Herb garden. They showed the gardens and then he did some cooking in his home kitchen. He had a wood burning oven that was shaped like a chiminea in the corner and little tables for his guests like a Trattoria ! It was very cool. He even had a double spit rotisserie. One of the nicer home kitchen layouts I have seen. Dave

Taste buds and brain cells... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] And you're right about the ingredients. Can't find mozzarella di bufala at the local grocery store, but fresh whole milk mozzarella isn't bad. And flour is a problem, too.

My best failure thus far was done on a pizza stone on a grill. I recently heard that much of the sauce used around Naples is made with lightly smoked tomatoes! So my next step, before building an oven (outdoors, in combination with a barbecue pit) is to try smoking some roma tomatoes. I'll probably go with store-bought this spring, but can't wait to try some fresh out of the garden next summer.