Thread: Replacing a submergible pump

Replacing a submergible pump

Has anyone replaced a submergible pump themselfs?

I didn't have water this morning. Everything was fine last night (filled the horse trough, etc), but this morning all I had was what was in the pressure tank. Check circuit breaker and that was fine. I haven't had time to check any further (had to get to work). I'm hoping that its the pressure switch or something simple but figure at worst its the pump. I will probably have a "professional" do the job unless I find out that its fairly straight forward job.

Larry
    Larry

Administrator

Re: Replacing a submergible pump

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm hoping that its the pressure switch or something simple but figure at worst its the pump. I will probably have a "professional" do the job unless I find out that its fairly straight forward job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do check all of the "lesser" possibilties. If it does turn out to be the pump, unless you are extremely talented, it is a job for the pros.

There are a number of things to check besides the pump itself. There can be leaks in the line both coming up from the well, and the lines going to the house, barn, holding tank, etc. Even small leaks in these lines can cause the pump to run off and on, which can lead to the power lines being rubbed and they can short out or burn out the pump.

Ususally the pump/well crew will check all the lines as well as the pump itself, and replace them also if necessary. You would need a special tool to "pull" the pump and hoses and power lines up. It is also possible to "drop" the pump on the way up or down, and "lose" it in the well, sometimes requiring a new well to be drilled. This you do not want.

Takes a couple of hours, ideally. We had this done a couple of times -- by "the pros" -- and it cost around $1,000, for around a 250 foot well. That was 12 and 6 years ago, and prices may have gone up. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Hopefully it's not the pump. Mine when out. Driller came by, checked things with his ohmeter, and knew already what problem was. Wire going into well had rubbed up against top at junction box and was shorting out. He fixed it and it turned out it needed a new capacitor too. Cost me $100 but since it was Sunday and he came right out I was happy. I could have found wire if I had looked.

Also, make sure it isn't just the pressure switch. Open cap on top. DON'T touch anything as you have 220 volts here. With an insulated screwdriver, or piece of plastic, (I use the cap itself.) pop the spring loaded contacts on and off a few times. You may just have a dirty contact.

By the way, my junction box, the big 9x9x4 box on top of well, or off to side - My junction box has a re-set button hidden underneath it. Reach under and push button in. It will be hard if it's never been pushed, so keep at it. If you have to reset this switch then it's probably an indication that something's going out - capacitor, shorted wire, or pump.

Have fun. Mine always goes out when someone's in the shower.

Some older units have the capaciter in the pump itself. If you need a new pump be sure they install one with the capaciter in the junction box. That way it can be replaced without having to pull the pump. Maybe all the new pumps are set up this way. A friend had his pump replaced this spring and the new pump was like that. Don't know if he had a choice though.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?