Thread: Haylage for goats

Haylage for goats

I wonder if anyone has had expierience replacing part of the grain ration that is fed to milking goats with haylage? I would eventually like to make my own organic feed supplement and am considering haylage as part of the mix as i know it is used in my area as part of the "cow salad" they feed milking cows in this area. Also, do goats benefit from a little baking soda in the mix as cows do? i know goats need a MUCH less rich diet than cows, but wonder how much similar there dietary needs are other than that. Mark

Re: Haylage for goats

What are you currently feeding?

Steve

Don't currently have goats, although hope to soon. When we had milkers a few years ago we supplimented their grass (or hay) with blue seal goat grain. Mark

Not really familliar with Blue Seal. We usually get #500 of feed mixed up at the local grain mill and then feed decent hay, something with either sweet clover or alfalfa. We had good luck feeding some hay that was primarily sweet clover, but the darn girls ate it too fast! Haven't heard of anybody feeding haylage, at least not around here.

Is the Blue Seal pelleted? Or is it whole grain?

Steve