Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Additional electrical panel question

Re: Additional electrical panel question

Brian,
    You are right, CH makes several panels that will accept twins in every space. Make sure if you do, you're using the CHT style and not the CHNT breakers in a panel not designed to accept them.

Wonder why I didn't ask how many circuits he needed to add?? And suggested a twin or two. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You were right to point out the potential code violation and I wasn't aware of it.

I'm surprised we didn't see your comments in the 'Wiring up a compressor' discussion in TBN. Your knowledge woulda outdone my pathetic explanations (I'm Boustany @ TBN)

Always better safe than sorry when it can shock ya/burn ya/kill ya, or a friend, kid, neighbour, etc..

Thanks Brian,
    I no longer respond to questions over on TBN, actually I hardly ever visit except for the NH forums. There's already enough "electrical experts" over there. Some right on target.....some not. Sure hope their advice doesn't hurt anyone though. Plenty of people wil respond and say " I did it this way and no problems yet " . It's the YET I worry about. But I get tired of being challenged [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] . I know what I'm doing, after 32 years. I hope so anyway.

Oh yeah......I will always respond to e-mail or a PM at TBN or CBN

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I no longer respond to questions over on TBN, actually I hardly ever visit except for the NH forums. There's already enough "electrical experts" over there. Some right on target.....some not. Sure hope their advice doesn't hurt anyone though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too bad. I think a lot of people on TBN look to your advice as the final word. How about tossing in your opinion there on electrical issues, yet not spend another moment replying to contrary views?

Jerry, I'm sorry you feel that way and hope you'll reconsider. Surely you realize that while some may (well, you say "challenge" but maybe it's just questioning to learn more), I think the vast majority of the members consider you to be the final expert in that area and the information you provide is very valuable.

Along with the others I encourage you to continue on TBN. Your expertise is a great resource.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Rest assured guys, I DO read all those questions and responses posted and if anyones life or property was in danger I'm sure I'd say something. But I don't want to labeled as one who just intervenes to say..... "You're wrong" like others do seem to do. I do things according to codes and with safety in mind. Things can be done a bunch of different ways, as others have said. Will it work?? Probably. Is it the best way? Maybe not.
    I'm sorry for being bitter, but I get tired of the e-mails telling me how arrogant I've been over there. And that "my way is the only way?"
    I can tell you how to do it right, maybe not the most cost effective way, but it will be safe. The code making panels don't consider cost when they change things. And yes most codes are a minimum standard but rest assured if it's done to the minimum standard, it's going to be safe. Can we make the world safer?? Sure. Too bad all of my proposals to change the NEC have been rejected.
    Sorry to rant on and on, but I take my profession very seriously. There are plenty of places in this country where codes don't exist. That's a shame [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Please keep in mind, if anyone here needs help, e-mail me.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There are plenty of places in this country where codes don't exist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and you'd have loved the electrical system my place in the country had when I first bought it. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] I'm a long ways from being an electrician, but an idiot should have known better than to wire one like that place was wired. The previous mobile home on the premised had burned down, and it was sheer luck that the one I bought hadn't burned before I bought it.

Bird,
    Mobiles are a whole new can of worms [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    I lived in one for 13 years myself. They are inspected to HUD standards here in Ohio [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    The local building departments have no jurisdiction in a mobile home park that is licensed by the State Health Department and especially not inside of the home itself.
    I've been called to look at the supply to a new mobile home to get the power turned on, but I can't by law. I've gone to look at it "unofficially" and would never give authorization the energize that service. The State of Ohio has determined that if the park is licensed by the Health Department, then if their "inspectors" say it's safe........it must be. Most can't even change their own light bulbs.
    THAT needs to be changed, but I've tried for the last 16 years and can't get anywhere.

EJB.........sorry to hijack your post.
    How many circuits do you need to add? What brand of service panel do you have? What are you connecting to it?
    Give me some specifics and I'll try to help you out a little more.

Jerry