Thread: New Home - starting Basement framinh - help

New Home - starting Basement framinh - help

Good Afternoon All;

First I would like to indicate that I am a newbie here - first post in fact. I was searching the internet and found you guys(gals).

I just finish moving into a new 1200 sq ft Bungalow before Christmas and now I am looking at framing in my basement. I am looking at hints as to what the best way to do the framing is and the proper way to do it. I thank you all in advance.

p.s. The outer walls are alrady framed, insulated and drywall put up.

Cheers
    Ron

Re: New Home - starting Basement framinh - help

Ron: Welcome!

I just finished framing in my third new basement. (New houses over the years each with an unfinished basement.)

Your task is significantly easier because you have your exterior walls finished already. I assume all you want to do is put in partition walls to make rooms.

The last one I did was by far the easiest. I used metal framing studs instead of wood. If you use wood to build your partition walls in the traditional way by nailing them together laying on the floor then standing them up, you have to build them short by an inch or so in order to have room to tilt them vertical.

With metal studs, you just lay out your room lines on the floor and power nail the bottom channel to the concrete floor along those lines. Then you run a plumb line from the bottom channel up to the bottom of the first floor joists and screw top channel to the joists. (If a wall runs parallel to the joists, you will need to add bridging for something to screw the top channel to.) With the top and bottom channel in place, you trim the metal studs to the right length with tin snips, snap them into the top and bottom channels every 16 inches and screw them in place. Voila'! framing done.

These days, I found metal studs to be slightly cheaper than wood too!

Good luck on your project.