Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody recognize this chainsaw bar?

Anybody recognize this chainsaw bar?

I got this saw from my father-in-law who got it from someone else and so on. Besides a regular bar it came with a very odd bar. My father-in-law thinks he was told it is a bow bar. Does anybody recognize this and can you tell me what it is used for? I don't even know if I have it on upside-down or not.

Re: Anybody recognize this chainsaw bar?

Jerry, I've only seen one fellow with a bar like that, and he was in the firewood business full time. I never actually saw it in use, but he said that type bar was much faster than any other for cutting firewood.

I forget the techincal name. For Bucking only (cutting the felled tree into shorter lengths) They are faster I'm told, but not seen much anymore as some tried felling with em and gave them a bad reputation.

**NEVER** use for felling. Chances are very high it will kickback.

I remember seeing something like that in a brochure when I was a kid. Seems it was called a "brush bar" if that's any indication of it's use. Never actually seen one in about 30 years since [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Rob

Learned from others on the web that it should only be used fur bucking logs. If you keep the safety guards on (mine is missing one) and just use it for what it is intended for it is easier on your back and about twice as fast.

I think they call it a texas bow bar you can get them at baileys

This bar used to be popular in small wood bucking. One advantage to them is that they don't get pinched as bad as a regular bar. They are deffinitly kickback prone, the stinger at the bottom of the bar is used to hold the chain against the wood and keep the saw from climbing.

Came a bit late to this. If anyone cares, a bow bar is primarily used to clear brush, some use it to cut Christmas trees on commercial plantations.

I haven't used one since the early 1980s when I was a USFS firefighter. They can be fairly dangerous with a real danger of kickback, especially if you remove the guards that they now come with as a standard (and which everyone I know removes, since the guards really impede speed).

You aren't supposed to use em' on brush, they are for bucking pulp logs. Using them on brush or felling can be dangerous.

It is a McCollough, and use for only cutting up fire wood. Due to the danger, they were outlawed! Will not let them make anymore, very dangerous saw! Be Careful, when operating the bad Boy. Daddy Rabbit Kennels Ga.