Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dream trip to Maine

dream trip to Maine

If I make my trip to Maine this summer it should run me about seventeen hundred dollars. The trip to Fort Kent and back (I chose Fort Kent because on the map it looks like it's right on the border of Canada, which would be the northernest tip of the US si'?)

Anyhoo, it amounts to right under or right over 3700 miles round trip by car. Hertz will let me have one for 398.00 for two weeks BUT wants to charge me a quarter for every mile over six hundred miles. Comes to about enough to BUY a car. Thrifty says they'll let me have one for 258.00 for two weeks and UNLIMITED MILEAGE.

While I was trying to figure out how Hertz stays in business, I got to searching for something that would tell me how many miles to the gallon the Kia Rio gets. Even if it's forty....which it should be more on the highway, that comes to roughly 93 gallons, and at even 1.75 a gallon that's only about a hundred and sixty five dollars. Now if you throw in forty bucks a night for a single motel room for fourteen nights, that comes to just under six hundred dollars.

Adding up the necessities not including food, that comes to 1023.00. Thereabouts. Now if you add say twenty five dollars a day for food for me and the Jen, that's another three fifty or a grand total of 1373.00.

So, by all rights I figure I should bring about seventeen hundred dollars, I know we can eat for less than twenty five bucks a day and I know that we can get gas cheaper than a dollar seventy five so that should be more than enough with some left to spare for inconsequentials, like visiting the site of the world's largest doughnut or something to that effect. My math is kind of shaky, but I think I have it figured out. So if I put up about seventy five bucks a week I should be hitting out there sometime in July.

Re: dream trip to Maine

Cindi, I don't have any personal knowledge or prices up New England way, but I'd be inclined to think you've underestimated the cost of motel rooms by at least $10 a night and maybe more.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Cindi, if you and Jen want to make a stop in Cambridge, New York on your way up, Karen and I can save you a nights motel, and a days worth of meals, and if you wanna stop on your way back, make it two days of motel and meals. We'll even pack some food for the two of you to eat on the road!!!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Well I have mapped out two or three itinerarys and each time I specified rooms under fifty dollars and by the time you add tax, etc, you may be right. But I do know that there are super 8's and motel 6's all along the way until you get to Maine. Now once we get there we may have a problem. I am still working at this.

Thanks Rich! I'll look and see where you are on the map!

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Look on the border between southern Vermont and New York, that's where we are. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

I don't know whether they have them up in the Northeast, but along I-40 in Tennessee, we've found that the Knight's Inns have been about the best prices we could find. Some of them have been pretty nice; some just OK.

Cindi, We have been to Maine several times. The prices in the summer are a lot higher. When you get near a major city I would be cautious of the Motel 6 and Super 8. In many areas due to the low cost of the room theese properties draw a lot of drug dealers and prostitutes. Out side of the larger cities you will see fewer problems. When we go to Florida I always rent at National with unlimited Mileage. Check in different areas because it is a lot cheaper or more expensive from town to town. For example it is a lot more $$ per week for a car in Orlando than Miami. Try to pick the towns you want to visit in Maine and see if they have web sites. I would not recommend going with out advance reservations on the coast of Maine. Inland is a little less hectic. You should also be aware that most rental companys make you sign a contract. This usually has a clause about not taking the vehicle out of state. Make sure you ask questions. It might be unpleasant if you get in a accident or need service from the rental company in Maine and they think you are in Fl. Dave

I have nothing against Maine and the trip sounds nice, but I believe the northernmost tip of the lower 48 is Angle Inlet, MN.

Dave I will check on all those little details. thanks.

CF....You may very well be right, but I was shooting for traveling up the east coast. More or less.

CAN'T LEAVE THE STATE! What's the point? But National is okay with it?