Thread: Gas 4X4 vs. Diesel 4X4

Gas 4X4 vs. Diesel 4X4

I just sold my 2wd diesel and got a 95 chevrolet reg. cab 6.5 turbo dsl. My question is - Does anyone know if the wieght of a dsl. 4x4 vs. gas 4x4 in the mud make a great difference on loss of performance? I have tested my truck againtst a friends gas chevrolet and could not see a difference. Many people tell me there is, some tell me otherwise.

Re: Gas 4X4 vs. Diesel 4X4

The weight of the diesel engine tends to sink the front end in the mud. I've pulled my neighbors diesel out 3 times with my chevy gas. I don't really think its an issue. You can get either one just as stuck. It gives you an excuse to buy a winch.

Re: Gas 4X4 vs. Diesel 4X4

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Whenever I've had the opportunity to "spec out" a 4 X 4, front axle weight was a HUGE consideration. In trucks and pickups both, the front axle goes down and you're dead. One thing that I do for good handling in snow both with our gasoline-powered GM 3/4T 4 X 4 and with our Jeep Grand Cherokee is FILL THE FUEL TANKS. Once I do that I am nudging close to fifty-fifty front to back in the Jeep, and it helps A LOT in the pickup. When we spec'd that Jeep we intentionally stayed away from the V8 engine because it added 276 pounds to the front axle over the very-adequate 4.0 six-cylinder engine. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave