Thread: chicago gal seeking farm help

chicago gal seeking farm help

Hi all! I'm new to this site...and this is my second attempt at posting. Two years ago I purchased a 30 acre farm in Northwest Missouri (for 52K with a 4BR house...boy was I geeked!!!), but I still live here in Chicago. My farm has a 30X40 Morton barn, too (dirt floor with electric). My neighbor is wanting to rent my land and barn to raise cows, but I'd like work completed rather than cash. Is keeping a close eye on things and regularly maintaining the pastures sound reasonable? Or should it be more? What would a Morton barn rent for per month? I am planning on moving there as soon as I get enough GUTS to leave my decent job for the country which I love. And yes, I spent many years in the country in my younger days. Thanks in advance!!!

Re: chicago gal seeking farm help

"Is keeping a close eye on things and regularly maintaining the pastures sound reasonable?"

Sounds good. You haven't missed anything for two years, so anything is a gain to you. Plus, the place should be in decent shape when you decide to leave the Windy City.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Sounds good but make sure you know what each other's expectations are - define what maintenance and looking after things means. I traded boarding horses for "general maintenance" last year. We were not on the same page regarding our expectations and both ended up being disappointed.
    joy@rainbow ranch

Administrator

Uh yeah, make sure you get a very specific agreement as to what these "terms" mean for each of you.

"rent my land and barn to raise cows"

That can mean a lot of things, including installation of equipment, raising hay on the fields, etc etc.

What about damage to your land or buildings, liability, etc. It could also change your land tax basis.

You would need to check up on all of these points. I know a live farming operation is going to have some insurance issues.

"keeping a close eye on things"

In the country, pretty much everyone does that for each other, anyway. It's just being a good "neighbor."

"regularly maintaining the pastures"

Does this mean just bush hogging a couple of times a year, or what? As I said, the farmer may expect to be able to hay the fields.

It sounds to me like you are getting very little for the year round use of your land and barns.

I would try to go to the feed store or the local post office, and ask around to see what people work out for these kinds of arrangements in that area.

The farmer is going to be earning money from his operations on your land; you at the least need to make sure your costs are covered, especially if allowing him to use the land adds to your overhead. Though it is unlikely, what if the land got contaminated say with fuel or fertilizers, pesticides, etc.

Usually land is let out on "shares," where the farmer would either give you a percentage of the finished crop, or pay you outright, so muchy per acre.

I would ask the farmer what he "has in mind" and let him define what he wants. Then tell him you'll think it over and get back to him.

Bring his demands and expectations back here and post them, and we'll help you evaluate the pros and cons.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

Hi All. First, thanks for all your help. I wish I had written 2 years ago. To further clarify and to prevent others from making the same mistake, I have to tell you that while I've owned the place 2 years there has been a caretaker on the property. However, after he burned down 2 of my antique barns, cut down (and/or burned) 24 trees including black walnuts, and recently moved the property line 8 feet to his favor (everything done without permission), I am now in litigation to seek some of my damages. To all out there, please do not make the same mistake! I posted my original question because my current caretaker is being demanded to leave soon, but I definitely need a replacement caretaker...someone to watch over the place and take much better care of it. Hopefully, this now makes sense. Thanks again for all your help!!! I truly appreciate it!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Administrator

treesaw...

You don't need a caretaker ... you need a SWAT TEAM! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You should 1) not leave rural property empty and unwatched; and 2) have reliable people to watch a property.

There are actually two separate functions you are considering here, as I see it. One is to watch the property; and two is to get some revenue. I am not sure they should be "combined."

If a farmer is using your farm full time, there are many additional issues for you to consider. He or she may or may not feel comfortable with being responsible for the overall security of your property.

The "problems" you relate are not due to vandals or criminals, but the people you actually had entrusted to "watch" the place. Usually if someone is renting or otherwise occupying a place, that should be enough to provide basic assurance that it is okay. But, if the people you trust wind up trashing it, well, that is another issue to deal with.

You need to maybe do more checking on the background and reliability of those you allow to occupy your property.

Also, your immediate neighbors ought to be of some use in this situation. I realize you are far away, but the next time you do visit your property (which you ought to do once or twice a year anyway), stop in and get to know your neighbors.

Maybe give them a small gift of some kind. And mention how much you appreciate them "keeping an eye on" your place.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator