Thread: How do I Disengage my clutch interlock (geoprizm)?

How do I Disengage my clutch interlock (geoprizm)?

I want to intall a remote starter, but the clutch interlock will only allow the car to start while in gear with the clutch down. I'm guessing I can't just cut the wire from the interlock. Do I need a particular accessory? Any ideas? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: How do I Disengage my clutch interlock (geoprizm)?

It's never a good idea to install a remote starter on a standard transmission. If the interlock is bypassed, the car will start in any gear. I know, you say you'll ALWAYS put it in neutral and use a parking brake, but it only takes one time for someone to forget to do either one.

Re: How do I Disengage my clutch interlock (geopri

I installed a remote starter on my manual shift car. There is no clutch interlock. But I made sure the car would not start using the remote starter unless the car was in neutral. I put a small microswitch on the trans that is activated when the linkage is in neutral. The remote starter has additional inputs to disable the start feature. The switch is connected to one of them. This was avery risky thing. A car that starts when you are not there can kill someone. I made absolutely sure the switch was relaible. So far, after 2 years there has been no problems.
    There are remote starters made for use with manual trans cars. I ran across them in my search.
    Rich