Thread: Catalytic Converter

Catalytic Converter

I wanted to pass this along:
    I just replaced my Cat. converter on my '89 K2500. I replaced it with a model from "extremeflow", only cost about $125.00. These are high flow and less restrictive then the OEM converter and they claim it will give you a 10% boost in horsepower and torque. I must say, it did make a huge difference in power and I passed emissions.

I've heard some stories about the high flow models not working well enough to pass emissions. I didn't have that problem and the installation was pretty easy. I had one 18" pipe bent at a muffler shop. The new converter is tiny, about half the size of the original.

If anyone's needing a new cat. converter for emissions or to improve performance, this brand worked for me. It was considerably cheaper then the OEM option.

Re: Catalytic Converter

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There seems to be a lot of myths around about cat converters. A few years ago when we lived in Smog-Nazifornia; and they started a stringent smog inspection in even the least smog-affected counties; I had to resurrect the exhaust system that we had removed from our GM pickup when we first got it and had carefully stored it in our shop. In order to not give away ALL the power, I had a 2-1/2" exhaust tailpipe made and coupled THAT to a NAPA 2-1/2" in-and-out muffler. Then I took the cat and dumped all the berries out and SIFTED them with a sieve such that I had only the bigger sized berries. I re-installed the berries and put the cat on the pickup and it passed with flying colors....and had a lot more poop than it ever had new. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave