Thread: Chainsaw for mill

Chainsaw for mill

I am building a chainsaw mill and am about to buy a new chainsaw for it....a big pro model. I will buy either a Stihl or a Husky....price is the same and service seems the same as well. Any comments to help with the decision would be apprciated. Thank you.

Re: Chainsaw for mill

Flip a coin.

Egon

I'd buy the Sthil because I already have a Sthil. If I had a Husky, I'd buy the Husky. They are both great brands with great machines. The Sthil may have a better chain adjustment when mounted on the mill. I dunno what Husky's adjuster looks like these days.

Thank you for the obsevations. I know where you are coming with regards to buying the same brand. I have used a smaller Stihl (028) for over 20 years and like it al lot however I wonder about the Stihl warranty for their pro saws and the Husky adjustable oil flow might be a good thing for that long bar (36") on the mill. Any further comments would be appreciated.

Seems that some of the mills have an extra oiler. You may want to check into it.

mikell

You might want to check out the Forestry Forum There are several there running chainsaw mills of both brands.
    Good board with a similar atmosphere to TBN/CBN. HTH

Thank you for all of the information. I have decided on the Husky 395 and will finish the mill when the weather gets a bit better.