Thread: Infrared heaters

Infrared heaters

I'm in upstate NY and the recent cold weather has me considering installation of a few overhead infrared heaters in the shop. Has anyone used them?

Re: Infrared heaters

We've had them in our manufacturing shop. They work good, if you know beforehand the locations you'll be needing them. Personally, I use a salamander in my home shop instead. It's noisy, but you can move it to where you need it (including outdoors) and it uses diesel.

Isn't their a law against torturing lizards [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Dave

Allright, the correct term should be "forced air heater". [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I guess it's like "Coke, Xerox, kleenex", we get imprinted by the marketers.

>> I use a salamander in my home shop instead

I'm using one of these now. 40,000 BTU and it can warm up the shop almost 30 degrees. This would be OK if it was 30 outside, but when the high is 10 it is still too nippy to work for long in the shop.

I plan to insulate the shops this year and am looking for heat options which will enable me to maintain an ambient above freezing and provide spot heating when I'm out there. The wood shop is 24X28, 8' at the eaves and ~15' at the gable and the barn shop is 14X24 with a loft above it.

I was thinking of the infrared because I've seen them work well in warehouses and other large spaces which just needed some spot heating, but am open to other ideas also.

I have the 110,000 btu model and it roasts me like a chicken.

For your application, you're probably on the right path. I didn't realize you were trying to keep it from freezing 24/7. You might want to check out the hot oil systems for the freeze protection. My dad uses one in a 10 x 12 sunroom, I think it's made by "Delonghi (sp?). My Dad's has multiple outputs, 600 watt, 900 watt, 1500 watt. What's nice about it, is it won't start a fire, should something fall against it. It may have a thermostat, or you could probably put one inline on the power cord.

I got one for my Dad back in 60s. He used it above bench lathe and it worked fine for him although he never took off his hat. They can cook you if stay too long and close. small kerosene heaters make good heat and are safe enough for wood shops. Just be mindful of dust in air, air cleaner should take care of that. Good ol'wood burner is good n hot. Some are made with burn box for outside and heat transferred with duct coupled with fan. Not as efficient as having the heat source inside but may be safer around flammable stuff....
    Good searching...