Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no trespassing signs

no trespassing signs

Does anyone know if trespassing signs have to be spaced at certain distances to be legal ?

Re: no trespassing signs

Welcome to the CBN, gennic.

This is one of those situations that varies between states, counties, townships, etc. Your local police should have some opinions for you, or offer a suggestion for where to obtain your answer.

search your state website for these regulations. Here in Maine they have to be no more than 100 feet apart. The logic being that if your walking a property line that has been posted, at that spacing you should always be able to see a sign.

Something else to consider is depending on your laws, they may not be required. For example, here in Texas, someone commits criminal trespass if they cross "fencing or other enclosure obviously designed to exclude intruders or to contain livestock." (§ 30.05. Criminal Trespass)

I'm not saying you shouldn't put up signs nor that they may not help, (in fact, I'd put them up to help "mark your territory" [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] ) Just saying that you may not need them to stay on the "right" side of the law. As others suggest, best to check out your local laws/codes to get the correct answer.

Good idea, Ranchman. But I took it one step further. In Maine, ignoring the sign and trespassing is a misdemeanor. But taking down posted signs is a felony. So when I put up barriers to keep the dam* 4-wheelers out, I attach the sign to the barrier. So removing the barrier now becomes a felony. Of course, you have to catch them forst. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Hey Rozett,
    Where did you come up with the felony charge for removing posted signs in Maine? The warden tells me it's only a class d misdemeanor.

Sorry for the delayed reply.... I don't remember where I got that information and can't seem to find it now. Anyway... the warden is right (of course). [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> E. A person commits criminal mischief and is subject to prosecution under section 806 if that person, without permission of the owner or owner's agent:

(1) Knowingly posts the property of another with a sign or paint mark indicating that access is prohibited, that access is prohibited without permission or that access for a particular purpose is prohibited; or

(2) Removes, mutilates, defaces or destroys a sign or paint mark placed for purposes of this section.
    [1995, c. 529, §2 (new).] </font color>

I read somewhere that there should be no point where someone can't see a trespassing sign. So ,yes I think there should be signs within sight of each other. I allow people to hunt on our place except the folks on the west side
    (they're @ssholes) I put up signs every 50 feet over there. I have also used nail strips for the 4 wheeler tires over there .

genninc, if it were me I would ask a game warden since they are probablythe most familiar with trespass laws and property barrier issues. At least they are in IL.

It will differ by state.In oklahoma it is 50ft
    Call your Sheriff's Office for exact info.