Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boiled Eggs

Boiled Eggs

Is there a sure fire method to boil and peel eggs without the shell sticking to the egg? Fresh eggs Vs store bought seem to be different. Sometimes I get it right sometimes I don't. I drop the eggs in boiling water and then run cold water when they are done, usually works but not today [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Boiled Eggs

Al, I don't really know, but have always been told that the fresher an egg is the harder it is to peel the shell off clean. I put the eggs in the pan to start with, then run enough water in the pan to cover them. And like you, I run cold water on them to cool them just enough to handle before peeling them. Of course all we have is store bought eggs now, so I never really know how fresh they are.

Bird, thanks, I must have really fresh eggs. Started out to be deviled eggs, ended up potato salad. Next time I'll try your way, starting the eggs cold. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I recently changed methods: Put the eggs in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat, cover and leave for 10-15 minutes. No ugly grean stuff around the yolks this way - they stay nice and yellow. As for peeling, I drain the water when they're done and just shake the pot around. Run them under cold water for a minute or two - the shells sometimes just fall off.

pvenben, I assume you changed because the old way didn't work so good. What was the old way? Identifying what doesn't work may lead to what does. Your way sounds much like Bird's with a 10-15 minute wait after they are done boiling.Are the eggs from the store or from your chickens? Thanks for the response [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I learned this in cooking school, hope it helps. Put eggs in pan cover with cold water, bring to a rolling boil, turn off heat and let set 20 mins or so, then cold water and peel. I have let them sit for hours until I was ready for them. Sometimes the peel still sticks, something to do with the freshness of the eggs. Good Luck Mac

Administrator

I also find this is the best method to avoid sticking sheels: 1) put eggs into cold water; 2) turn on heat and bring to boil for 20 minutes; 3) remove from stove and immediately run under cold water for 2-3 minutes.

I also have this real "tip" -- put 1 teaspoon of vinegar into the water before it boils. I have no idea why this would have any effect but it does seem to work. I make a lot of hard boiled eggs, and maybe out of 20 dozen, I'll get 2-3 eggs, if any, with sticky shells problem. The only possible drawback is if you let the eggs boil too hard, the shells may crack and the eggs might have a slight vinegar taste. YMMV. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

I buy enough eggs to let on or two dozen sit for a week or week and a half in the fridge so they are not too fresh. Put them in cold water and bring to boil. Turn off buner and let cool in pot.

I don't get the green area around the yolk and I have little problem with shell sticking.

Hakim: the vinigar works because it is an acid and will attack the calcium carbonate in the shell, which in turn softens the shell.

Here is something cool to do. Put an egg in a glass and cover with vinigar. Change the vinigar every 2-3 days and soon you will have an egg with no shell and the intershell membrane will hold it all togther. It's cool and kids love it.

Dane

Administrator

Thanks for the info. I'll try the "experiment." Sounds neeeeat!

I also heard you can put salt in the water prior to boiling. Changes the pH (probably also to acidic).

Do we all know enough to boil an egg now? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator

<font color="blue">

Do we all know enough to boil an egg now?</font color>

Yep, Put em' in a pan, add enough Vinegar to cover them, boil, repeat until the shells disapear Presto "Pickled Eggs"
    Thanks for all the ideas [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]