Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boiled Eggs

Re: Boiled Eggs

The old way was to boil them in the pot. Two things I don't like about this method: 1) if you let them go too long you get that green/grey yolk thing happening. I'm pretty sure it's only a cosmetic thing. 2) unless you have the correct amount of eggs in the pot (so they can't move around too much in the boiling water) they can break before they are set.

And the eggs are store-bought, for now.

I haven't been to this board in a while and I come back to find this interesting topic. Sometimes mine stick and sometimes they don't. This will give me some new methods of cooking to try. I've almost come to the point of sending away for one of those gizmos that I recently started seeing advertised on the tube. You tap one end of the egg where the air pocket is, set in in place, press on a plunger and air is forced between the egg and shell giving you an egg with no shell and a couple big pieces of shell sitting on your counter. It probably works as well as all those other "$19.99 and we'll send you this, too" inventions.

How about one of these: http://www.wdrake.com/shop/product.c...mp;PID=1117139

I'm tempted for only $5.95
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Fred and Gary, I don't recall every hearing of egg peelers of any kind. I think you guys ought to buy one of each and tell the rest of us how good they are. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Why not try and poke a pin hole in the end and then blow on it. Used to empty birds eggs this way but had a hole in each end.

Egon

Let me know how it turned out. I have several other thinks that you can do with boiled eggs that kids love and it povides them with physics lessons at the same time.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Gary,
    That peeler seems like it works on the same principle only uses water instead of air. A lot cheaper, too. Let us know... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

OK, I ordered two of the peelers. I figure the wife will throw one at me so I need a spare!

A full report, with photos, will be forthcoming.
    Gary

The egg peelers arrived a week or two ago and I finally got to test it out. This is the one that uses water to seperate the shell from the egg.

I found that the only faucet it fit on was in one of the bathrooms! The small end of the rubber gadget is stretched over the faucet spout, and my kitchen faucet has no protruding spout. So all the eggs have to be peeled in the bathroom. I'll admit that it detracts a little from the "apeel" of the process.

After the gadget is attached and the boiled, and cooled, eggs are on hand, just crack the shell on both ends and remove a little of the peel on the small end. And be sure to remove a little of the membrane too. Then turn on the water and shove the small end into the peeler. The egg pops out the bottom of the shell and the shell is mostly in one piece.

Works OK, but walking to the bathroom to peel eggs is a little of a pain. And I promised photos, but my wife wants nothing to do with this project! So, sorry, no photos.

Conclusion:
    Be sure your kitchen faucet, or other proposed peeling location, has about 3/8" or more of spout available for attachment.

It works as advertised.

A third hand to catch the egg as it's ejected from the shell would be handy. A bowl or colendar would probably work fine.

Price is right.
    Gary

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    A full report, with photos, will be forthcoming.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just read this thread... I was looking forward to seeing a hurled egg peeler...

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]