Thread: Breeding pigmy goats

Breeding pigmy goats

I would sure appreciate any information anyone has on breeding pigmy goats. I have 1 billy 4yrs. old with a breeding history and 2 females just turned 1 yr. from another farm. gestation ? how long to leave the billy in with them?how do I know the girls are ready? THANX [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Breeding pigmy goats

Well I don't have experience with pygmy goats but I have some friends that do and I do know this: you should breed them after 1yr old and the breeding season is over cause the babies should be being born about febuary this year. I hope this might help.

If they're the same as full sized goats, gestation is something like 150 or 155 days. Most folk want spring babies, (due to weather) and plan breeding in the late fall.

We have our buck penned along side the doe pen. Normally, the does will go over to the fence and talk to him, but they really don't spend much time there. When one of the does suddenly starts paying an unusual amount of attention, it's time to go visit the buck. We leave them in with him for 6 or 7 hours.

Steve

thank you very much for the reply very useful information Iappreciate it very much I gotta a hunch this site is gonna be my new best freind

The general concensus on pygmy females and breeding is to wait untill their 2nd year.

The mortality rate (for both kids and moma) apparently drops significantly if you wait till the does pass 20 months. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Doug

There are many forums available on line that deal with this information. They are very good and very helpful. I'd also suggest that you purchase a book on the subject, also on line or I found several at the feed store. Pygmies breed and birth very well usually. Most of us like spring babies and keep our males separated to insure it. There is great debate about whether to start your females early or to wait. The early people say the bones get "set" after the first year and birthing is more difficult. The later people say the female is still growing and should not be hurried. Gestation is 150 days or about 5 months. Try to keep good records. Leave your billy in about 3-5 days. If your female never comes back into heat, then you can figure she is pregnant. Heat cycles vary greatly in goats, but generally they cycle every 18-21 days during peak breeding season (Aug thru Jan). Learn to recognize the heat cycles. Pygmies are great fun and those babies just can be beat for cuteness.

The goats will know when the time is right, whether or not you notice. Keeping the nannies safely locked away from the billy till they are old enough and in sufficient body condition is great advice.

Pregnancy in a goat is a stessful thing (however natural) and you want the prospective momma goat to be in good condition. Not OBESE but with a good amount of stored energy, i.e. fat. Studies have shown that the babies fare better out of mommas that went into pregnancy when in better condition AND the females are ready to breed again earlier when they were READY the time before.

What did he say? Condition the prospective mommas in advance of breeding and stay abreast of their nuutritional needs through the pregnancy and during lactation to maintain condition and get her ready for healthy breeding again in less time with less stress to the animal. Another important issue is getting the newborn feding right away to get the colostrum as soon as possible. Stats again! Getting the colostrum early and in sufficient quantity is extremely important to the health of the kid.

Natural colostrum from the mother early and in good quantity is important. If that just isn't possible you should have some freeze dried collustrum to substitute. Is is clearly inferior but still way better than not having any.

Good luck as surrogate goat parrent!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I purchased two female Pigmy goats about 3-4 months ago.
    One of the females seems to be getting huge around the middle, and more so everyday. She rather waddles some when she walks. The owner said she was with Billy's before I got her, and she might be pregnant. Is that possible, or does she have a tumor. They said she was about 5 months old when I got her, and her sister. I also worry about Inbreeding problems. Apparently the goats were all left together all the time. The time of birth will be in the dead of winter here in Abilene, Texas. I keep them up in the yard for now, with a large dog house that the two sleep in at night. Her swelling is sideways, and down. She is a lot bigger than her sister, and they eat the same. Any ideas, and what to expect?

Shirley [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] <font color="blue"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color> <font color="blue"> </font color>

Any ideas, and what to expect?

A baby goat that can play duel for guitar and banjo. (ref to "Deliverance.")

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"