Thread: HELP!! Truss bracing for pole barn..

HELP!! Truss bracing for pole barn..

building a small pole barn for a garage, its 24 foot wide and 30 feet long, i got the trusses in yesterday, they are 4-12 pitch with 1 foot overhang, the trusses will be spaced 4' OC, purlins will be on 2' centers and metal sheathing only..i need to know how to properly brace the trusses for safety, i got a 6 page paper with the trusses but the bracing they recommend is quite more than i was thinking, actually i dont even know if its for these trusses as there is so much on these pages, i found this sitehttp://www.stormsurvival.homeste...s_Bracing.html
    and would like to use this bracing, but it does differ from the ones that came with the trusses, for instance, on the webpage listed above, there is one lateral brace running the entire length of the building and about halfway down from the peak on each side, but on the papers i got with the trusse, it has that same lateral brace in the middle on each side but also another one running along the top close to the peak and another on running along close to the eave, then the diagonals on the gable ends, is all that needed or can i do it like on the link above?

Re: HELP!! Truss bracing for pole barn..

There's probably many different ways of applying braces, also called "rat runs". The idea is to create triangles using the trusses and extra 2x4s. You need to keep the trusses from tipping or twisting under windloads or any other forces that would want to make them tilt and collapse. The braces shown in your link (I removed the "site" that was on the front end) Truss Bracing looks as though it would do the job. But the instructions from the truss manufacturer are probably good too. Of course the site you provided is prepping for a hurricane. Are you in such an arera that this is a concern?

Fill in your profile so we can know a little more about you.

And welcome to Country by Net!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

No hurricanes here, im in TN., weird thing is that the bracing in the summary i got with the trusses is WAAAY more than on the hurricane site..the summary for bracing that came with mine looks like they expect the building to be in tornadoes every day of its life!! Thats why i would rather use the bracing procedure in that link, on the link, they show lateral bracing running on the bottom of the top chord in the center on each side, on mine, thay also want that lateral brace running along the peak and the eave, then the diagonals, then the purlins..

01/04 05:01 PM Edit Reply Quote

wondering if the building inspector would say anything about not using the lateral bracing on the bottom of the top chord because of the fact it has perlins, wondering if he will say anything because they are in the instructions? also, do i make the arrow head diagonals on the bottomside of the top chord since the perlins will be on the outside?
    Now for the BIG problem..i had the whole crew here today and didnt get anything done, we cant figure out how to get to the truss once its up to apply the bracing..lol..in other words, we know how to get them up there and the peak raised up, but from there on out we dont know how to get up that high in the center of the building to start attaching braces to hold the trusses up, i dont have a tractor or lift or anything like that, only a 8ft. stepladder, so we didnt want to hurt anyone so we just decided to wait and find out what to do, now, we did get the gable truss up but that was because we left the center poles tall so the truss would rest against them and i screwd the truss to all 4 poles, but as far as the next one and next one and so on, what do we do? Obviously we dont want o just crawl around in the trusses while someone holds them up to attach the braces, not safe, so can you guys tell me the secret on how to do this if you dont have a scaffold or a manlift or anything to get yourself up to the peaks of the trusses to start bracing them? I was thinking that towards the peak area would be the first parts to start bracing up, but how to get up there is the question..?

If you need general guidelines on how to get the trusses set, take a look at the "Post-Frame Building Handbook" from NRAES. It covers the basics of pole construction and notes some of the different regional requirements.

For your truss bracing, either take a look inside some other buildings in your area or call your building inspector and find out what he wants.