Thread: We survived -50!

We survived -50!

Hi all, I'm a new to this forum. -Just to pass along some info, we just got thru a horrible week, temperatures -30 down to -50, and stayed relatively comfy in our 65 yr. old house.

I spent lots of time & energy tearing down the interior plaster walls last spring to have foam insulation blown in them (4" walls) -a tremendous difference over our previous rockwool insulation.

We also moved our 18 yr. old Osburn Victorianaire woodstove upstairs, where we live, rather than in the basement. -A terrific stove. It kept the ol' house above 15 C all through that weather, though we got lots of exercise feeding it ever 2-3 hours.

Does anyone have one of them? Our bottom vent has come loose & w can't figure how to fix. -The manufacturer's been sold & knows nothing about older models. (They maintain it can be accessed inside ash drawer, but it's solid except for firebox grate.) Any suggestions most appreciated.

Great forum here. Keep it up, all!

Barb [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: We survived -50!

Welcome:

Remember those lovely Alberta winters. Square tires, engines that went ERRR and then just a click. Down filled jackets. Felt boots and perenially frozen fingers.

Nothing like a nice stove to keep one warm. We used to have one on the lower floor and another on the upper floor as well as a lenox high efficiency furnace. Ours were Regency.

Sorry I can not help with the problem but perhaps someone will come up with the answere.

Egon

Re: We survived -50!

Hi Barb,

Can't help with the stove either...but I can sure share in your enjoyment of that cold snap we had! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I'm glad to see it gone. We went through a lot of birch in our wood stove. Keeps the NG bill down! Especially good since Mr. Klein isn't too generous on the rebate [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Enjoy the heat wave!!

Kevin