Thread: Skid Road Seeding

Skid Road Seeding

I now own a tract of woodlands that was logged last winter (03). The loggers left the roads in pretty poor repair and they are eroding. I used my back blade and made humps to help slow the water. I want to smooth out the roads down this spring and seed them. The roads are in nearly full shade (in the woods). Waht could I seed them down with to curb erosion? Is there anything I could plant that might grow and have the secondary benefit of being a food source for deer/turkeys etc.?
    Live to Fish, Fish to Live!

Re: Skid Road Seeding

You might want to check with your state forestry department for the advice of a local forester. I chose to hire a forester to manage my timber harvest. He took a certain percentage of the gross for his work. Besides marking all the trees to be harvested, he tracked what the timber cutter was removing and the price they were getting at the mills. When the harvest was complete, he walked the property with the timber cutter to make sure everything was completed properly. Also he specified locations for "water bars" that were installed by the cutter to prevent errosion. They are more than 'a hump' and their placement is based on his years of experience instead of my partially educated guesses.

I will be grooming the skidder trails this year in order to use them as horse trails. But his advice was to leave the water bars.