Thread: Extra Venison - What to do?

Extra Venison - What to do?

I have developing a plan to implement QDM on my property. The biggest problem I have is I need to harvest at least 10-12 animals each year. I only have use for 2 or 3.

Does anyone know of an organization that would want deer meat?

[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Live to Fish, Fish to Live!

Re: Extra Venison - What to do?

Many butcher shops here in MD take extra deer for a program called "hunters for humanity" or something. The meat is donated to soup kitchens or shelters to feed the homeless. Most people just give it to friends that don't get to hunt but love the meat. I belive you are just can't profit from the meat. If you are looking to give some away let me know. My family goes thru about 3 deer and a side of beef a year. I hope to get more time to hunt as the boys grow up and can go with me. It's hard to hunt with a 4 year old talking your ear off.

Steve

Contact your local wildlife officer. They will have lots of ideas.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

Get in touch with your local Shooting Clubs and ask about the Hunters Feedingthe Hungry programs and directors locally. This is a national effort that I'm sure is in your community. Quite often the local State Police or Highway Patrol is a good starting point as well!

Phil Foreman
    aka
    Paws or
    CPL Kass Irons, CSA
    Quartermaster and Company Cook Mosby's Raiders
    www.ohiocampcooks.org
    Phil Foreman
    aka CPL Kass Irons, CSA
    Company Cook Mosby's Raiders
    www.ohiocampcooks.org

Ran across this and OMG had to jump in. We had this program for years of donating hides and meat to whoever. I and friends have eaten deer for years, one of those 'other' food groups, next to the garlic mashed potatoes, and the gravy. Well is seems around here now you cannot donate deer to the hungry because it may have lead in it! Go figure. Just another resource going to waste now.

Oh and in response to the thread, jerky is a great preserve and sells well or makes good gifts. Seems like someone wants it and more of it.

Guess i will just go and eat my malanine that they say will not hurt me at all in small quantities.
    No fun, change the rules!!!