Thread: ag-exempt permit for pole building

ag-exempt permit for pole building

This is probably a localized goverment (state,county) question but just putting out some feelers...

Looking to buy some acreage that will probably zoned for farming (rangeland). Most goverments have zoning guidelines that you cannot erect a structure on this land unless it is related to use of the land. In other words, you cannot build a dwelling on zoned farm property. I wonder what complications may arise in trying to put up a pole building??

My idea is to buy some land in an area we generally go hunting several hundred miles away from where I live. If I had a pole building to keep things there it certainly would make life more simple. Granted, I am not using the building for 'farming', but it is consistant with the use of farming for any other future owners and do not believe it detracts from the zoning. Any thoughts?

Re: ag-exempt permit for pole building

You are right, you are going to check with your local zoning to find this out. A local pole barn builder will know the laws as well. Here in Ohio, Ag buildings do not need permits at all as long as they are for livestock/equipement storage.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

Same here. No permits needed to build anything on ag land. I don't even need a building permit to build a house if it is on more than 40 acres.

In our county, a permit is required but there is no charge for the permit, like there is for new housing, etc, because of the agricultural building exemption. However, not sure if that is state-wide or not.

Thanks, my first goal is to find the right property. Rangeland in Eastern Oregon varies in price based upon it's usefulness. One plot I am getting information on (as I understand the situation) is some rangeland that a previous (deceased) owner for some reason sold their BLM grazing rights. I believe this to be rights on adjacent blm land. Without these rights, the piece being sold is too small to support any cattle in itself. Therefore, a drop in value for a person with cattle which is primarily all this land is good for (grazing). Now comes me where I can see a recreational value to this land as long as I can erect a structure on it. I will also be carefull to check any ingress/egress limitations too. If the property meets my qualifications (price, usability, access). I'll probably approach the county to see if a structure can be erected on it. Hate to buy something and not be able to follow my plans out as that would render it unusable to me also. I'd also hate to assume that building something without approval somehow raises concerns where I would have to remove it.

Things I find out about the county zoning so far is that they may be more conservative than what you guys mentioned for your region. Although my true intentions for this building are not for 'farming', the guise of it will be...Nothing illegal of course, just a hunting camp type of place.

Thanks.