Thread: Pole House-Pole spacing?

Pole House-Pole spacing?

Has anyone built their own Pole House? We are thinking of using 6x6 PT posts for a home.
    Has anyone used 6x6 PT before?
    What spacing did you go, both ways?
    Did you use a concrete "footing pad"?
    What size was it?
    How big was your home?
    How has it held up?
    Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Re: Pole House-Pole spacing?

My pole barn/house started construction this week. The builders used laminated 6x6 posts. That means they were three 2 X 6's nailed together at intervals to form one beam. Each beam is 12 feet on center. They dug down five feet and buried the beams in concrete. That is as far as they have gotten will let you know more as we go.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

Slyder, can you post pictures of the construction? I think many of would find it very interesting. Thanks.

Bob

Thanks Slyder,
    I would be very interested in "progress reports" & pics too.
    What is the Pressure Treatment levels of those 2x6's? I know now they use ACQ instead of the old CCA treatment.

What is the size of your house structure?

I'd be curious on the "structural" layout?

Are the posts resting on a concrete pad & what dimensions?

Looking forward, thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I will try to get pictures ASAP...but my digital camera is not working correctly right now. Did you see the picture of my poor horse? He looks like a dwarf. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Anyway, I will do this as soon as possible. I went with a standard size of 36 X 72. I wanted all the sides to be divisible by 4 to save on lumber costs. The side walls are 11 feet high with scissor trussess. I do not need any load baring walls in the interior at this size.
    I have a rough picture of the lay-out and will scan it in for you at work tomorrow. And no, the posts are being put directly into the soil and surrounded with concrete well below the frost line. I may come to regret that later but, it is out of my control now. Go to www.Mortonbuildings.com They have a residential department. That is who is building my shell. They have standard blueprints or you can modify one, or go custom.

Thanks Slyder,
    Say aren't you still like in winter over there?
    Isn't your ground like frozen solid?
    If you are lucky you may hit mid thirty's friday, they must have a BIG excavator.

Right you are beetlebrain! We are actually on hold. The crew doesn't like working out in freezing rain...now come on! Anyway, I tried to scan the small copy of my plans at work...too many small words and numbers, it comes out as a bunch of goblty gook, so, I am drawing (REMEMBER...I am NOT an engineer!) my plans and scanning those. We'll see...