Thread: Living in the country - a newcomer's guide

Living in the country - a newcomer\'s guide

I decided to start a new thread based on several others I have read in this section.

So, you're tired of the city and want to move to the country?

Don't base this on one or two days spent at the ski lodge in the Poconos or a week spent on your Grandpa's farm when you were 6 years old.

I have lived here all my life, most of my neighbors have been here forever too! I don't mind flatlanders coming into the area, so long as they are coming here to be one of us, not a city dweller in coveralls.

We stop to help neighbors (even strangers) but are annoyed when the favor ins't returned. We lend things to friends, but expect them to be returned. We love to hunt and fish and usually share that privilidge with our friends. (to have a friend you must be a friend). Sometimes our dogs run free, our houses need painting, and we put the old bronco up on blocks until we can afford a new engine. However if our neighbor does these things, and it bugs us, we don't sue him. We knock on the door and discuss it over a beer or cup of coffee. We accept both kinds of politicians (liberal republicans and conservative republicans) We listen to both kinds of music (country and western). We get up at 2:00 in the morning to check the expecting hiefer (or whatever needs looking after). We go to bed at 9:00 because we are tired from getting up at 2:00. We drive 10,20,30 miles to Walmart not because we are stupid but because that is where it is!

We love to go to the city to see the sites. We like fine dining, staying out late, going to "shows" but this is for a change of pace and after a few days we come home. WE DON"T MOVE THERE! We don't ask you to lower the price of parking, open your stores earlier, or lend us your mower - WE KNOW BETTER!

So come join us here in the beautiful countryside but only if you are coming to JOIN! If you are coming to piss and moan and escape your pitiful city life by recreating it here, do us all a favor and reconsider.

Live to Fish, Fish to Live!

Re: Living in the country - a newcomer\'s guide

Wow! Todd may be a new member, but I like what he's saying here.

...We accept both kinds of politicians (liberal republicans and conservative republicans)...

ROFLMAO!!

That's the best laugh I've had in WEEKS. Thanks, Chippy!

Well said, Chippy! Can I add one more? We like dogs, but keep yours on your own property cause we also like our chickens, goats, rabbits, calves, etc. We don't have animal control officers, we have guns to protect our live-stock. A hard truth on both sides.

OKay, I'll bite!

What have 2 city dwellers learned after buying a farm 1 year ago, and visiting each weekend of the year while holding down 'day jobs' during the week?

Here it goes:

1. The people next door doing target practice in their back yard aren't from the hood. They enjoy shooting guns in their back yard.

2. There are other folks on the block who are not comfortable with neighbors who target shoot in their back yard.

3. Our neighbor is an unbelieveable jewel. Meeting him was the first impression we had as to our new neighbors. We are even better friends after a year of cross-fence chats and dinners.

4. Not everyone on our block is like our neighbor. We found that out the hard way.

5. Farmers 3 miles away from our parcel know our name and that we live in Los Angeles. Farmers we have never met. At our home in Los Angeles, on our lot that is 35' wide, we know Frank (to the north), Al (to the west), Mary (to the east), and ? to the South.

6. The words 'well' and 'septic' are not scary things.

7. Deer and gophers are not necessarily your friends.

8. You don't need to have a Home Depot 8 minutes from your home. Every farmer's garage looks like a well-stocked hardware store.

9. Private roads get bumpy.

10. There are LOTS of stories that about 'how things work' and even more farmers willing to share that with you.

11. City dwellers who plant shade trees on their property, in large numbers, are crazy. Putting water pipes underground for no other purpose than to irrigate those trees are double-nuts.

12. Gophers are capable of drilling innumerable holes in the ground. Countless.

13. Moving lots of dirt will make your muscles very sore. Sometimes there isn't enough alcohol in the world to make those sores disappear at the end of a day. But if you go the alcohol route, the next day is worse than the sore night.

14. If you have worked very hard all weekend, you will enjoy your 3-hour drive quite a bit better if you take a good shower before leaving.

15. 50% of the structures built in the country are not Permitted. (A farmer told us this!)

16. A gravel driveway isn't scary.

17. Reuse everything. Farmers are the ultimate testimony of good ecological practice.

18. There are stars in the night sky. More than you can ever imagine.

19. Everyone needs each other. Your life may actually depend on how well you connect with your neighbors.

20. It is a hard life. Very hard. But people will stay in the country until their deathbed. If they can.

21. It takes a few moments to remember how to use a rotary phone.

22. Cable Television companys don't want to bring services to a community of 225 people.

23. Who needs cable? Who needs television?

24. It is entirely possible to watch a few flames in the wood stove for hours on end. Nothing else is needed to be said.

25. Everyone on your block has EMail.

26. Block demographics are interesting: a farmer, a city mayor, a concrete man, a commercial fisherman, an IT citydweller, a retired farmer, a chemical salesman, a school teacher, a tree cutter, a PHd who does ??? ...

27. The 'Bobcat Lane Road Association' is a lively group. Everyone is responsible for filling in a couple of potholes. Now and then.

28. 109 degrees (on July 4th) is VERY hot. Your legs will not do what your mind tells them to do at 109 degrees.

etc. etc. etc. . . .

Martin