Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home baked Bread

Re: Home baked Bread

Bird:

Haven't got a recipe but the baking odours from a bakery about 150 feet away are very pleasant in the early morning hours.

Then there is another a little way down the river that uses organic ingedients, lots of different grains,no presrvatives and makes the best bread I have ever eaten. They started this backery on a boat and have since moved onshore on the rivers edge.

Egon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    odours from a bakery about 150 feet away are very pleasant

[/ QUOTE ]

Aah, yes. My paternal grandparents lived one city block from a bakery and I used to go down there and buy hot loaves right from the oven, unsliced; delicious eating.

And while I've never been in your part of the country, enroute to Alaska in 1990, we stopped in Watson Lake and they had a bakery in the basement of a grocery store baking fresh bread right then. We bought 5 loaves, pulled the three RVs off the road where they have all the signs telling the distance to different places in the world, and 7 adults and one teenager ate every bite of that 5 loaves with butter and jelly for lunch. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Couple of tips. Use water instead of milk, better yet, use the water that potatoes are boiled in. (I also use brown sugar instead of white.) I was baking 12-16 loaves of bread a week until I sprained my right shoulder. Am sick of store-bought, and can't wait until I am healed. One tip from King Arthur Flour. Take a break about 5 minutes into the kneading. Let the dough rest about two-three minutes, and take it up again. I don't use a machine, and it took some time to get used to the right "feel" before baking. I also let the dough raise three times. Once to double, once to almost double, and once in the pans. Seems to work, it is crusty, and great.