Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go... How do you want it?

Here we go... How do you want it?

Here is the story so far...
    I have just shy of seven acres 25 miles East of Oklahoma City that we will soon be building on. Actually it is two 3 1/3 acre lots. We (my wife Dawn and I) will be building a 1501 square foot home on the first lot very soon. The plan is to live in this house for a year and sell it to my mom when she moves down from Michigan. Then we will build a house next door and all live happily ever after!!

I plan on documenting my progress here for all to see... so my question to you is how would you like to see it done?

After I get ideas on how you would like to see me go insane, oops, I mean build my first house I will post pitchers of the land "as is" and post a link to our house plans. Any ideas and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

After all this will be for your enjoyment, but I would like it to look good (for Ma's sake [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

Thanks for your time,
    Waldo

Re: Here we go... How do you want it?

I would like to see a live feed so we can watch you fight with your wife about white vs. brown outlets! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Seriously, GOOD LUCK. Building a home is very challenging and can get quite emotional. I look forward to watching!

Sorry no ideas.
    Live to Fish, Fish to Live!

Hey Waldo, that is nice of you.
    Maybe the link idea with an update here everytime you post new udates on your linked site.
    I'm sure some of us will find your "adventure" interesting and so too will "mom".
    Pictures are worth a thousand words when it comes to building technics.
    Looking forward, Beetlebrain [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

If you have the server space available you probably want to maintain a website there. I have a home under construction and have created a website with thumbnail photos down one side that link to a larger version. I also have text that links to the sites for the different products we're using such as siding, ventilation products and the like. I've also posted panoramic photos of the building site before and during construction.

I'm not making myself as an expert, but the sites at www.w0gom.net if you wish to look.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. And welcome to Country by Net!
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I do believe your web site would be hard to beat; very nice.

Waldo, Being that close to Shawnee, Oklahoma City, and whatever passes for civilization up there, you will have an easier time getting subs and competitive bids than we did (See Oklahoma farmhouse thread for our amazing journey).

I have a sugestion for you. Take a trip down to Stratford, Oklahoma (actually a few miles short of there) and see some really good homes in the size range of interest to you. Going south from Shawnee (FULL STOP AT 4-WAY STOP INTERSECTION AT ASHER! S P E E D T R A P) continue on south past Odell's great lunch spot on left (East) side of road just after speed limit resumes 65) then across the bridge over the South Canadian River and take the fork in the highway to the right toward Stratford.

You will come to a couple home building operations on the left side of the highway, first Country View Homes and imediately after, HINKLE HOMES. This is roughly 35 miles south of Shawnee.
    I recommend stoping first at Hinkle's.

Hinkle typically has from 10, 12, or ...homes on the lot in various stages of completion and they are all unlocked and available for your inspection. Stop by the office and say howdy to Joyce or DeWayne Hinkle, owner operators. They have pricing handouts, samples of siding, roofing etc.

This is a good thing to do even if you aren't interested in a "factory built" home. It will give you a convenient way of seing various designs and features. These are not "MANUFACTURED" homes, built on steel trailer frames in sections. They are complete "stick built" from the foundation up homes with 2x6 construction and wood sub floors (raised floor with crawl space for easy plumbing access etc.) They are exactly what you would get if the home were built at your site and they used to do it either way but it is not economical for their crews to travel so now they only build at their operation. They will be a hard act to follow. If you tour their homes and look at the quality of construction and the high quality of their materials you will find it hard to be pleased by most others.

They get their lumber direct by the truckload from Weyerhauser and their siding and windows from Norandex in OKC. You can't find lumber as good as what they use at lumber yards and places like Lowe's and Home Depot. They use top grade siding. They will work with you to customize any of their size homes to your needs. I am not related to them nor do I have a piece of the action. I interviewed 5 of the builders of "rollaway" homes in Stratford and Hinkle was the best.

Joyce Hinkle "sanity checked" my design and helped me work within the constraints of their type building. We ended up with a three bedroom three bath 1820 sqft home with an open plan (great room combining kitchen, dining , and living rooms all in one vaulted space.) This is a bit more than you are after but they have several smaler sizes as well as a larger size than this.

If you check with them as to what they could build in the size you want and take a hard realistic look at costs versus quality it will really raise the bar with respect to what you would be able to accept from another builder, or yourself for that matter.

They build a good house for a real fair price and it is as if it were built on your site. Unlike a manufactured home, these rollaways do not depreciate 10K when delivered and set up and continue to depreciate over time. These homes are exactly as if they were site built and appreciate just as if they were site built. They are a better initial value and a far better investment over time.

It would be well worth your time to drive the 35 miles to Hinkle Homes. If you are down there at meal time, Janice's BBQ in Stratford is real good. From the highway intersection go west and it is on the left before you leave town.

If you had one of the "rollaways" you'd still need to build a garage. I added on a sun porch to connect the garage and house.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird,
    Thanks for the complement. I hope to do some updates this weekend.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Hey, Waldo. If your wife and you have any disputes, can we be the official arbiters?

Beetlebrain,

I like that idea, the only problem is that I'm not that computer savvy [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Unlike Gary's awesome homepage I'm afraid that all of my posts will be here in this forum. I hope to have enough free time this weekend to get everyone up to date on the the progress (or lack of) that we have made since we purchased the land in January of this year.

I was hopping some of the experts here could give me directions on keeping this informative and fun for everyone and not boring!

Waldo

Pat,

I was hopping to hear from you on this! I have been slowly getting through your informative post. My wife and I have already picked out a house plan and have the plans in hand. That being said, we will be making the trip to Hinkle Homes on Saturday to check them out. If you happen to have their hours of operation at hand I would appreciate the info (I am aiming to get there by 1 pm).

We have found a builder that is almost a "one man show". In other words he does it all except for brick work, heating/AC, carpet instillation and well/septic. I am hoping that he can keep us on track time wise (no waiting for one sub to finish so another can start). [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Once he gets started he claims it should only take three months to complete! I'm not too concerned about the time, more about the cost. I have to stick to a tight budget; this house is after all for my retired mom on a fixed budget.

Waldo