Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Here we go... How do you want it?

Re: Here we go... How do you want it?

Maybe you could use your inside helpers to fix the lawn too [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I need all the help I can get, we just got another "gully washer" as they like to say around here. We got just shy of a half an inch in only twenty minutes! Look for yourself, its taking its toll...

One more "wash out" [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Waldo,

Have you looked at "buffalo grass"? It's a native grass that grows to about 5" or so and then stops growing. I plan to plant it in the Spring. It's available as seed, sod, or plugs. Spreads like Zoysia using rizomes.

I like the idea of not having to mow too often. About twice a summer ought to do it in many areas. There are various varieties, cultivars, available with slightly different charactoristics., such as seed head position. The male plants have ther seedheads at the top while female plants have theirs down toward the bottom. So the female plants make a nicer looking "lawn". But the seed is more expensive as it's more difficult to harvest.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

yep, I've still got one of those spots in my yard. Get's tiring bringing it uphill to watch it wash away again. Patience and time will probably be what we both need.

Gary,

I started out looking at all different kinds of grass and buffalo grass cough my attention due to just how slow it can grow. I must admit that I am no expert on the different types of grass or how they co-exist. From my limited research I decided to go with Bermuda because of how aggressive it is. It is growing all over the place already and I was afraid it would eventually take over anything I planted anyway. I have always enjoyed doing yard work, it makes for a great stress reliever. For as long as I can remember I have loved to "play" with any kind of tractor. For the first time in my life I actually own one. For the rest of you hardcore tractor junkies, its a John Deere X595 special edition 2004 model with a 62C mid mount mower, 45 front end loader, and several other accessories (read more here ). As you can see, mowing is a chore that I love to do. Thanks for the info however, you just never know when you might learn something... [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

This was a hard, long and trying weekend. My builder showed up just long enough to finish the walk in shower, get his tractor, get the last of his money and then left us to complete most of his to-do list (the odds and ends) [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I was on mandatory overtime at work, so I didn't get to be as involved as much as I would have liked. While my wife was taking a shower I noticed that the shower trap was dumping water all over in the crawl space (it was missing the compression fitting). Then bad turned to worse, the walk in closet which is behind the shower was flooded [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img] I called my builder and at first he really didn't much care...

To make a long story short, my anger and persistence along with my wifes complete emotional breakdown convinced him to drive the five and a half hours (one way) from Missouri to Oklahoma and fix it [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I had a heart to heart talk with him and we are now in very good terms again [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] While he was here today he also helped my wife knock out most of the items that we had on his to-do list.

Give me some time to clean up the mess and I will get the final pictures posted.

Waldo, I want to congratulate on a very nice house and a great job of posting your photos. It looks like a very beautiful and peaceful place. I do have one concern about the switch that is so close to the master tub. In Maryland I believe you can't have a switch within 3 feet of a shower or tub so that you don't get electricuted. Am I missing something here? I don't want to rain on your parade but it scares me to think that you might be in the tub, reach over to the switch and get zapped.