Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Here we go... How do you want it?

Re: Here we go... How do you want it?

I think I've got it! This is a picture from the East side of lot 2 looking North. I'm way in the back in a red shirt.

Here is the pond on lot 2.

By George, I think you've got it! Good pix. Thanks, and looking forward to seeing & hearing more from you.

Waldo, From what I can see in the two pictures, you sure look familiar.

About taking low res pix. IrfanView, a free grafix viewer-editor, is available from http://www.irfanview.com It will allow manipulating high res pix to any lower res you need. It will make slide shows, put multiple shots together to form a panorama (vertical or horizontal), and let you fidle with color and contrast. You can lighten up "DARK" backlit pix etc. Really easy to use and IT IS FREE.

Hope you had an ejoyable visit at Stratford. I have talked to others who did not opt to buy a Hinkle home (or any roll away) but who were glad they had seen them as it set a new standard of building-construction quality in their minds.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

If you may have noticed in the first pond pic there were several trees around it. Than the beavers decided to do a little "landscaping". [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

This is the pile of wood we obtained from cleaning up after our furry friends!

This is a view across the road looking South to the lake. Our bulldozer guy will be at the property today or tomorrow, so I should have some better pic's coming your way soon.

Waldo, You have my sympathy. Misery loves company? Beaver have destroyed most of the large trees that were near water on my property. I have only managed to trap 7-8 in two seasons with some acceptable collateral damage in the form of two armadillos and two snapping turtles. Beaver come and go on a seasonal basis staying for a year or two and then wandering off for whatever reason but the damage they do lasts for decades. I have lost several trees over two feet in diameter and in excess of a hundred years old. I don't have that many nice old trees left. I am definitely anti-beaver on my place.

I know there is a rightful place for beaver in the natural world and if I could spare the trees I would be happy to have them in some of my ponds but I haven't any large trees left that I want to sacrifice to these "wood rats" and so termination with maximally extreme predjudice is my nonnegotiable position. I would be happy to have someone looking to adopt beaver come live trap them on my place and give them a home, far from here.

Waldo, you might want to consider how to get started controlling those wood rats while you still have some nice trees left on your property. They will roam a considerable distance from water to fell a tree, sometimes when there are closer ones to the water. I don't pretend to understand their selection process but I would love to foil it.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pat,

I did go there on Saturday, but did not follow your advise to let them know I was coming, oops. The owners stayed home (due to the snow) but I did get to take a look at the one they were working on. I was impressed by the materials they were using and the quality of work. I don't much care for so many straight lines in a house though. I was thinking they were more of a panalized home builder (in other words, instead of building a complete house and then shipping it in two sections, I though they would build the exterior and interior walls and stack them up and than shipping them out to finish the home on-site). Don't feel bad for sending me, we had fun seeing new places!

I found a program here that was easy enough that even I could use to reduce the file size of pics!

Got to go for now, dozer guy just called and is on the way [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks Pat
    Waldo

Waldo, Lots of folks add porches, build on garages, sunrooms, whatever which customizes the fairly simple design of the genre.

Uhh, ahh errr ah, they don't ship them in two pieces. They ship in one piece ready to be set on your stem wall, connected to water, sewar, and electricity (with some minor plumbing in the crawl space), and moved into. They are really good at what they do but if you don't want what they do it isn't a good fit. It isn't what I selected for my own home either. My mom's Hinkle home still gets a lot of compliments.

I have talked to several of the subs that work for multiple builders in Stratford as well as some of their suppliers and Hinkle has the best reputation for honesty, integrity, and quality of construction in that niche market.

Good luck on our project A N D with your beaver problem.