Thread: Can You Join Two Seperate Dug Wells?

Can You Join Two Seperate Dug Wells?

Hey all,
    we have two seperate dug wells near each other and were wondering if it is ok to "join" them into one feed line to the house. You know, take the lines from each one right after they come out of the wells join them at a " Y " and run only one line to the house.

Can this be done?
    What would be the best way, check valves, etc.?
    Any ideas?

Thanks, Beetlebrain

Re: Can You Join Two Seperate Dug Wells?

I'd check code first. They tend to be really particular about the potential to pollute a well.

Ideally, you would have 2 pumps, one for each well, but usually in a dug well the pump is in the house and you probably want one pump.

Of course, with a common pump arrangement, you may find that most or all the water is pumped from one well, namely the one thats closest to the house or that offers up less resistance to the pump. If that well were to run dry, then you'd be out of water.

Assuming your pump is in the house, I'd use at least 2 check valves, one for each well before the Y. I'd probably have a third after the Y just in case.

I suspect somebody with a lot more knowledge on the subject would tell you it shouldn't be done, though.

Are you wishing to join the two wells due to a water supply shortage?

How deep are the wells? How far apart?

Egon

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

Due to a heavy clay soil and real slow recovery I have two wells feeding my house. They're not close to each other so there are two seperate lines that come into one in the basement. One common turn on/turn off pressure switch/tank. One thing to think about is I have individual well-tech low pressure switches in the basement so if one well runs down while the other is still ok, the low well pump won't keep running and over heat.

Thanks Rocky2
    Just what I was looking for! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]