Thread: Electrolysis alert!

Electrolysis alert!

Where there is cooking there is usualy cleaning, RIGHT? These days that often means a automatic diswasher.

Keep items of different metals separated in the silverware basket of the dishwasher. Knives, forks spoons or whatever cutlery and other metallic objects can become discolored or pitted if dissimilar metals (stainless steel, silver, etc.) are touching when washed. The water-soap solution can allow electrolysis to occur that blackens or pits the surface of the metal utensils.

Not a problem for obects of the same material but silver plate against a carbon steel butcher knife or stainless spoon could cause a problem.

Want to test the electrolysis effect? take a couple utensils made of different metals like silver and steel or whatever, touch them to each other and then stick your tongue so that it touches both metal objects (careful with sharp knives and such!) and you will detect an acid or odd taste. This is the electric current being generated by the battery formed by the different metals in contact with the electrolyte (your saliva) that flows through the closed circuit provided by your conductive tongue. As kids, we used to "taste" a copper penny touching a silver dime or aq nickel ... moms of the world really hate that... oooooooh putting dirty money in your mouth!

Folks with "silver" fillings sometimes can get this "odd" taste when they put something metallic in their mouth. It is due to the battery formed between the fillings and the other "different" metal. Actual silver, silverware, doesn't do this unless your fillings are a different metal, say stainless steel if you went to a Soviet dentist, komrad.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Electrolysis alert!

Right Pat, ever bite into the aluminum foil from a wrapped baked potato? I hate that.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Hey Gary, You are suppose to "peel" the aluminum wrapped baked potatos. I know what you mean though. It can easily happen when the cook's helper slices the foil with a dull knife spreading aluminum shavings in your potato.

For all those folks whose tongues are nearly insensate from decades of hot coffee and couldn't "taste" the metal objects, just stick your tongue on both contacts of a 9 volt "transistor" battery and you'll get a close approximation.

[img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

You are suppose to "peel" the aluminum wrapped baked potatos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, it was dark in that restarant and I was hungry!

BTW, Tarter Sauce doesn't work too well on a baked potato instead of sour cream. Don't ask how I know.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, Tarter sauce works fine on a baked potato... compared to freshly grated horseradish. About those dark eateries and all those little itsy bitsy all alike serving dishes... how you supposed to tell the difference in low lght between soiur cream, horseradish,and tarter sauce?

So far the funiest few oops have been a friend who was in a Mexican place in Baja and several of the party ordered meals that came with soup so when they placed a bowl in front of him he took a spoon and dug in. First clue was that it was cold but some soups are served cold so he delayed getting it out of his mouth for a moment and it was HOT sauce! Another guy, always looking for a freebie took a small handful of bacon bits at a pizza place, popped them in his mouth and started to chew... it was crushed red peppers...

One morning while living on our sailboat (did this for almost nine years) I tried to brush my teeth with a tube of Head and Shoulders... phew!! The good news is that I still don't have any dandruff between my teeth.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It is amazing how much a Head and Shoulders bottle looks like a hand lotion bottle...........