Thread: Fixing improperly cured concrete

Fixing improperly cured concrete

We have a fifty year home that we purchased many years ago that has an add-on closet to the back bedroom. We knew that the addition was not great workmanship, but purchased the home anyway.

The question I have, is there anyway to fix the foundation under the closet? It looks like the concrete was improperly cured. It looks like compressed sand and breaks off very easy. I know that we are going to have to fix it before we sell and move to our retirement land in Cooke County.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Will it have to be ripped out completely or what? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Doyle

Re: Fixing improperly cured concrete

I don't believe anything can be done about concrete gone bad, however it got there, whether through improper curing, a bad batch, water (it sucks the good stuff out) and so on.

I am pretty sure the only choice is to have it replaced or live with it. If you are going to sell, could you not simply disclose it to the buyer and let him/her decide?

Thanks. There is no question about disclosing because it is crumbling away and there for all to see.. Guess I just need to bite the bullet and get a new foundation for it.

I'm sure you weren't gonna hide it from a buyer. Its just that you may consider that it'll cost a few thousand to fix it, plus all the associated agravation, which may be more than simply saying to a buyer "see, this foundation bit is crumbling and will have to be replaced" then he can make up his mind as to when he'll fix it.

It has been my experience that although what Brian suggest is entirely logical, buyers for the most part aren't and would likely expect more consideration for the foundation than the cost to fix.

I have seen this sort of thing over and over. There is luck, maybe a buyer would come along and be entirely reasonable. The longer you wait the more collateral dammage could happen. When it sufficiently deteriorates, the walls and ceiling will likely pull away from the original house. The foundation can be replaced in a small section like that with a moderate amount of hassle. I have participated in it for an entire 1500 sqft house. It is work but not rocket science.

If you aren't into medium size DIY, shop for a contractor with good refs. Get multiple bids. Require disclosure of methods and approaches to allow evaluating bids for the "best and lowest" bid.

It isn't all that tough to temporarily brace up the bad section, remove the bad concrete and replace with good. Depending on the size of the area to be repaired, you might do it is sections if it is pretty big.

For example, one approach is to pier down and pour piers to take the load of your temporay bracing. These piers can have their tops well below grade so they will be invisible when done. Once the temp braces are in place the crumblycrete is removed. Form up for the new and pour. Allow plenty of cure time and then shim as required (if required) and then remove temp braces and cover the piers. Just one approach. Contrators may have many others as valid or better.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"