Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lookin for new pickup

Re: Lookin for new pickup

Just last autumn I bought a 2003 Dodge Dakota. "Don't need a full sized truck," said the wife, so I turned away from the Silverado I really wanted and settled for a smaller truck that gets the same mileage.

I don't tow or plow with my truck, and the heaviest thing I'll carry is my ATV or a bed full of hay, so Tamara was right in that we didn't need a full-sized truck. Not that I dislike the Dakota, but in retrospect, the new Chevy Colorado with the inline 5 cylinder engine does everything mine does...and gets 10mpg better!

So like Pat suggested, define your needs and shop smart.

Pete

Yup! One of the best trucks I ever had was a $100 pickup(Sounds like part of a Jimmy Buffet song... live album...). It was a '64 Ford F100. It was a great beat up old truck!

I have to agree with the assessment that you need two vehicles. If you are doing an 85 mile a day (or is it 170 a day!) commute, even a relatively frugal pickup, gas or diesel, will eat a big hole in you budget right quick. And if you opt for a large gas engine, like a V-10, I'd have to say you're nuts!

I upgraded from an F250 Supercab Superduty to an F350 Crewcab a couple of years ago. I was considering going to a gas (probably V-10) to save a few dollars, so I asked a couple of folks who had them. The horror stories on fuel mileage were quite convincing - F250's getting 4-6 mpg!! With the diesel in my current truck I'm doing about 15 with my mixed driving. My old F250 was good for about 20mpg on the highway when I traded it. Neither of these is a number I'd want to carry for the types of distances you're commuting.

While a small pickup with better mileage might work, you may find yourself compromised when it comes time to get to work at home. Not a good situation either.

Personally, I'd consider a 1-3 year old fullsize pickup that will fill your needs at home, but still be capable of handling the commute on one tank of fuel (diesel), and find a good fuel miser for the trip to work. I've seen Diesel VW's go 50-55 mpg and run for 200,000 to 300,000 miles. They're nice cars, fairly easy to find used in decent condition, and pretty mechanically friendy if you're the weekend mechanic type.

Gregg
    Remember - If I sound like I know nothing about farming it's because I really don't!