Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bathroom Paint

Bathroom Paint

My bride decided to remove the wallpaper in our bathroom and simply have painted walls.

Are there 'special' paints for bathrooms because of the high humidity? What kind of paints do you recommend?

The bathtub and surround is one of those OwensCorning fiberglass kits that goes up to within 6 - 8 inches of the ceiling (old house, low ceilings). Above the fiberglass is standard 1/2 inch drywall. The shower nozzle comes out of the drywall at one end of the tub.

Re: Bathroom Paint

Mike, I don't know what's best, but I've just used a good quality semi-gloss latex and had no problems or complaints.

You should be fine with a good quality semi gloss or gloss latex (like Bird says). In theory, when the bathroom was drywalled they should have used high humidity grade drywall (it is usually green instead of white). If you use good paint it shouldn't matter much about the humidity - mostly the high humidity just affects drying / curing time.

In the last couple of years we've switched to using a mildew proof paint made by Zinzer. Works great and really seems to help in the rentals where hygene seems to be lacking at times.

Any decent lumber yard/ big box should have it...

<font color="blue"> In theory, when the bathroom was drywalled they should have used high humidity grade drywall (it is usually green instead of white). </font color>
    They didn't. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Like others have said, a good semi-gloss or gloss paint should work.
    BTW, my father told me that Behr paint (Home Depot) was rated #1.
    I've been using it for several years now and knew it was good paint, but didn't know it was "the best" by CR.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

Gary, one of our daughters has a double wide mobile home that was a blue/gray color, 6 years old, and beginning to look pretty faded. In August, she bought Behr exterior latex paint and hired an acquaintance to paint it, changing to a cream color. I thought it would take at least two coats to change that color and get good coverage, but one coat did a beautiful job.

Actually, we used an eggshell latex for our master bath and went with one of the designer (Ralph Lauren) sand impregnated flat paints for the main bath. Only problem with the fancier paint is it tends to show water spots. But, it's been there over a year now and no problems with mildew. Flat paints seem to hide more drywall flaws than the gloss ones.

Do you have a vent fan?

Steve

We went with the Zinsser PermaWhite semigloss and yep, we have a exhaust fan. Although, I've read (can't remember where) that they do not do much good for getting the humidty created by a shower.

<font color="blue"> They didn't. </font color>

Figgures... Isn't that always the way it works [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]?

BTW, there was another post recommending Zinzer - that is good stuff and you also might consider sealing it with a primer like Kilz (sp?). Especially since it isn't the moisture resistant drywall... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

But it sounds like you've already got it done, and that should work just fine for you. Hope so [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img].