Thread: Paper Pellets

Paper Pellets

I remember years ago someone had developed paper pellets for use in a wood pellet stove. Have not heard anything since. Does anyone know about paper pellets?

Rich

Re: Paper Pellets

Wow. Paper? No, I have a wood pellet stove and know that I have to be extremely careful not to use dusty pellets...burns the auger engine out. Wouldn't paper do the same thing? What are the advantages of paper? Cost? Does it burn cleaner? Let me know what you find out.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!

Every month I have to bundle up the newspapers for recycling. But this month, for some reason, I remembered something about paper pellets from back in the 80's. I envision using my wife's food processor and putting newspapers and elmer's glue in it. Chop the papers and glue up real fine. Put the mess thru a pasta machine and make paper pellets for the stove.
    Great idea until my wife puts me in the food processor! Ouch!
    Rich [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

After blending pour into moulds and make fancy paper.

There used to be a machine for rolling newspapers up tight to burn in the fireplace. Also soaked the rolled paper logs in chemicals for different flame colours. Turns out the chemicals were not friendly.

Egon

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    There used to be a machine for rolling newspapers up tight to burn in the fireplace

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and I got one of them and tried it for awhile. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I certainly would not recommend them. Maybe that's the reason they "used to be" instead of currently being. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] But we did not use the chemicals you mentioned.

Being a lazy creature by nature, I think I will stick with pellets. No splitting, no chopping, no cooking. Even my cheap side can't see the benefit to all that work.
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!