Thread: Water to barn

Water to barn

I have a hydrant outside the barn and am thinking of running water into the barn this spring for a vegetable washing area I'll be installing. What is the best way to bring the water in so that it can be safely shut off in the offseason. I'm zone 5, and the barn is unheated so it gets cold and the ground freezes during the winter. I'm wondering how to keep the supply line from freezing where it comes out of the floor or what type of valve can be put in underground to prevent freezing.

Re: Water to barn

Hi
    This should do it
    Preassembled Pipe Heat Cable, Voltage Rating 120 Volts, Heater Length 12 Feet, 2 1/2 Inches Pipe Diameter, 60 Watts on Metal, 40 Watts on Plastic

check out ww Grainger for more info

Andy, do some web searching on " frost, free, hose bib, Anti-siphon" and
    see if a configuration you like pop's up. I would stay away from electrical protection,
    seems like cold weather and power loss go hand and hand.

If you don't want to use it in the winter it would be as simple as just draining it before the season.

I would just connect the plumbing (whatever it is you have in mind) with a short bit of hose to the hydrant. Then you can disconnect and drain it before the freeze.

Thanks for the search terms. I'll do some checking. I'm trying to avoid the hose option as I plan to use the space for cider pressing also and will need to expand the plumbing when I get around to installing the cider press.