Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Log Skidding

Log Skidding

What do I need for this? Specifically what do I need to attach the chain on the log side? I've seen these logging tongs but I'm not sure how well they work and they are not cheap. $65 for one that goes up to 24 1/2". I'm sure there are other options as well. Any advice?

Re: Log Skidding

Can't answer your question directly, but you might try either of these two sites in addition to what you might learn here:
    ArboristSite.com and ForestryForum.com.

Just wrap the chain around the log and use the hook (grab hook will work, but open hook will work better to gain a 'choke' hold ) on the end of the chain to secure it. Then either pull with a clevis in the drawbar, or what I prefer, is to have a method to lift up on the end of the log so it doesn't dig into the ground (makes it tough to pull as you have no traction). Lifting the log puts weight on the rear wheels of the tractor and provides for much better traction. I use the I-Match quick tach of Deere and attach the log to the top hook. Works great.

I use the logging tongs, and find they work well to lift the log (I sometimes also throw a chain around the log to secure it better) for pulling.

So, for the price of a chain and a clevis, you can get started pulling logs. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

So you make a loop around the log. Do you put it in about the center of the log? I was thinking I'd want to pull it from the end but I think a loop would just come off if I put it there.

Thanks.

logging tongs are great for lifting and loading, but I would not recommend them for dragging. for smaller logs you will find that tongs will give you fits from slipping off. Go with chain. What I use is several with an open hook on one end and a chain hook on the other. By doing this I can push a few logs somewhat close to gether and even, wrap each with a chain and even if I can't reach the tractor with one I can hitch to one of the other chains.

about a foot from the end would be fine. If there is a knot I like to go behind it. For the most part the chain will not come off as it bites into the bark when pulled on

Thanks for the replies everybody, I'll have to give it a try this weekend. You all saved me a few bucks on the tongs. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

How did the logging go this weekend?

Here is a site that has pictures of a logging 'buggy' that is pulled by an ATV (could be small tractor too) and shows as well the method of hooking a chain to a log (wrapped and hooked).

log buggy

I built this back in 83. I have a 8000 winch on the three point with a reciever in the blade. This logging arch is hyd in that it lays down and has a flat bed that pins on. with the fairlead at the apex you can pull things right onto the trailer. I used mobile home spindles for the tires. It sure took the strain off the tractor with large loads. I hope that the picture is good enough for you to see.

sorry that the pics are kind of small, hope you get the idea. having the hyd and being able to dump the trailer made it nice for hauling firewood and such. Without the axle going all the way across was nice in that I didn't have ot worry about hanging up on stump and such.
    I hope this pic is a little better, new to digital.