Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a new chainsaw...

Need a new chainsaw...

Starting in April we will be clearing some of our land. I currently have a John Deere (made by ?) chainsaw but I am looking to get another. In the past I have owned a few cheap models but wasn't impressed with performance. Just wondering what my options are and I don't want to spend over $400? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Need a new chainsaw...

I still have the Stihl saw that I bought in 1975, and it hasn't given me a reason yet to buy another saw. And there hasn't been a season yet that it didn't get at least a workout cutting up 6 real cords of oak firewood.

Deere, I believe, had saws made by remington and homelite, but have now switched to a much better Italian-made saw (if my information is correct). I have used the Italian-made saw that they sell now, and liked the way it performed very much. But I couldn't bring myself to buy anything but Stihl, whenever the saw-buying time draws near (this one may outlast me!). [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Get a Stihl.

Being a logger in the northwest, I have had the opportunity to use several different makes of saws. Johnsered, huskavarna, homelight, mc cullah and a few others. I now have 5 stihls from an 017 to a 066 wuth 36inch bar. With the availability of parts and places to take care of maintenance around here, Stihl has been the best choice for me.

In my opinion Stihl is second to none in parts and service and quality.
    That is one of the things I like about my JD tractor,parts are not a problem to get when you need them(usually overnight).

Stihl, Husquvara, Jonsered, Echo, Shiwdaiwa all make good pro model saws.

I have a Stihl MS260 that works great.
    Ken

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    <font color="blue"> Stihl, Husquvara, Jonsered, Echo, Shiwdaiwa all make good pro model saws. </font color>

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what you say,
    I just like the Stihl dealerships,there are so many in my area within a 30 mile radius or less and they have such good service. I never went in a Stihl shop that did not have a part I needed in stock. I guess I just like the Stihl brand and would recommend it to anyone based on my own personal experience.

Will I bought a Stihl today, an MS250. Its smaller than my JD but that is what I wanted. Had a little bit of trouble getting it to start the first time but after that it worked great. I think I will be happy with it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Should be a fine saw... I've run an 026 for over ten years with only a couple minor repairs which were my fault. (got dropped once or twice [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ) Starts every time I need it... Couldn't ask for a better tool. Thinking about a larger buddy to go with it as I have some thinning/clearing to do this year. Probably a 036 or 038 or whatever the current numbers are this year. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Just bought a Stihl 370 with 18" bar. Cuts better than I hoped it would. Chain adjustment knob is a real handy feature. Paid about $375 for the saw and case, another chain and a few goodies. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]