Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need a new chainsaw...

Re: Need a new chainsaw...

Here is a comment regarding the ongoing neverending debate of Stihl vs Husky...

Ask anyone who has been an open minded "industrial user" and they will mostly agree that there is hardly a dimes worth of difference beteen the two brands for comparable sizes. Weigh about the same, about the same HP, B U T it seems there may be a significant difference in warranty.

The larger saws, called PRO model saws by Stihl, when purchased in the US only have a 90 day warranty! If you buy one from Canada for delivery in the US, it has no warranty!

Husky carries a 2 year homeowner use warranty. So for essentially equal saws at equal prices, why not go for the Husky with 8 times as long of a warranty????? If you are a pro logger you need not respond! For the majority of us, we'd get the benefit of the longer warranty.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

I have a Stilhl 029 "Farm Boss" and a 036 "Wood Boss".

I am more then pleased with both. I do routine maintainence and they run like champs.

One tip: Use Bosch spark plugs. They are 10x what the stock champions are that come with most saws.

Good Luck on your quest.........J

Forget the warranty for a minute... I've never had to use mine... Go pick each one up and look it over. Think about how your gonna mount it on your mill and see if you can get to everything. That will find your winner. I'd buy the Stihl because I already have one. If I owned a husky, I'd probably buy a husky. If you go the Stihl route, get the dual port muffler. It will run cooler and make a tad more power. Scare the neighbors too... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

OK Scott, the minute is up and I'm thinking about the warranty again! The saws are essentially equivalent except for 90 days vs 2 years, just a factor of 8! Still if Stihl was just a lot more convenient when on the mill, I wouldn't ignore that and buy a well warranted but access nightmare. An excellent point.

Some of the mill sellers and folks who sell plans for more advanced chainsaw mills recommend a big Husky, approx $1000. I will think about it from a couple angles before I buy: 1. do I need to spend over $5-600 to be well satisfied since I would not be doing this as a job and don't have HUGE trees most of the time, and 2. will the smaller saw hold up to the abuse I would give it in mill operations? Maybe if I go with the smaller less expensive saw I might need to be more concerned with warranty.

Note: To all you Stihl zealots... I never even hinted that Stihl isn't a virtual mechanical wonder deserving of praise and admiration with durability and virtually a personality of its own. I know they are good saws!

Unfortunately someone in the Stihl management decided to void the warranty on any Stihl imported from Canada to the US and only offers 90 days to non-industrial users buying in the USA from only authorized price controlled sellers (not permitted to be sold via internet.)

On the other hand Husqvarna is essentially equivalent and can be purchased, with waranty, from discount sources, including Canada, and the warranty remains intact and 8 times as long. Of course warranty isn't the only issue but realistic appraisal of actual use in the forestry industry shows the Husky to be essentially equivalent.

I agree that most times the warranty might not be needed. In fact the length of warranty is often an indicator of the MFG's expectations or experience regarding product failures but not always. Sometimes waranties are extended to ensure customer confidence (see also KIA car warranties at 10 years and 100,000 miles)

In the case of the Husky brand, I don't think they have a poor track record or poor public image that requires them to provide a warranty that is out of proportion with their actual experience with failures. I could still go for Stihl but more ikely in a used vs used contest where warranty doesn't count unless as was suggested one of the saws is just difficult to access in a mill lashup.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I have a Stihl 028 - great saw!

Most all of the tree service guys around here use Stihl.

My Neighor has a husky and I can fell a tree and have it cut up by the time he gets his started... [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I think my wife is getting me either pallet forks, for the tractor, or the Stihl 200 for Christmas! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Foghorn

I have a Stihl 034 and an 021. They both work great and start whenever I need them to pretty easily ( in spite of my not so good maintenance practices ).

I bought them used, I think I have about $200 total invested in them.

One thing I have learned, sharp chains make a huge difference in performance regardless of brand of chain saw.

I'm really happy for all the pleased Stihl owners. Stihl makes a good saw, as does some other makers, including Husqvarna. Always compare similar models under similar conditions and there just isn't THAT much difference one way or the other. If you look long enough (or check the appropriate forums) you'll find evidence to support the view that both are good or just about any other position.

I bought a used unit with a 32 inch bar and an engine about the size of a small motorcycle. IT starts and runs OK and has been through the local shop and has a new "combination" ripping and cross cutting loop. I expect it to cut wood fine for my needs.

Luckily I have a 16 inch Mac to wield manually as I don't think I would last all that long with the big'un. I single hand my 16 over my head etc. No way could I do that with the larger unit.

Season's best to all of you.

I am happy to report after almost 10 months of work I am still very happy with the Stihl MS250 that I bought. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

One thing I would reccomend is getting a good safe practice instruction booklet. I have been in the buisness (tree care) for over 15 years and have seen and recived some nasty saw cuts (Over 100 stiches). Most of these were people with lots of training who should have known better, including myself. I know husky makes a great manual with lots of safty tips and production pointers. Just remember, even a small saw will kill you. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I have a Shindaiwa 488 and very happy with it's performance.
    Cotton