Thread: Breaking a horse

Breaking a horse

When we got this horse 4 years ago we didn't know she was going to have a baby.So now we have this filly to break.Where do we start? [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] She'll walk around with a saddle on. We know nothing about ground breaking or anything! It cost $100 a week for someone else to break her! My daughter wants to just get on and ride it out she says! She's 14,she knows everything ya know! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Well, she's a lot braver than I am! I hope there's someone out there with some good advice. Thanks a bunch [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Have a great day!
    Man cannot live on bread alone.He needs peanutbutter,too.

Re: Breaking a horse

Training a horse could fill this entire website. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If you have no experience at all start with a good set of videos. Probably the simplest out there are the ones from Clinton Anderson. Once you have a little background it will be easier to help fill in the gaps here.

If you have no experience I would highly suggest getting a trainer for at least the first 30 days. Many trainers will let you be involved in the process when they work the horse. After the first 30-60 days it will be much easier for you to take over. Horses are dangerous. It's just not worth somebody getting hurt or worse killed to save a few bucks. But if you really want to do it yourself get some tapes and start with the basics.

Re: Breaking a horse

This past year I started my first two year old horse. Although I have ridden my entire life and fixed other people's mistakes with my old horses, I had never once 'started fresh.' I found two sources invaluable: 1. Clinton Anderson's Colt Breaking Series and Ground Contol Part I series. Both available at www.clintonanderson.net. 2. Cleve Wells' series 'Going For Broke' I got that series from Horse and Rider Magazine.
    Also, see if you can find someone qualified in your area to help you train. I found a trainer that works with me for an hour a week for a minimal price. I then practice all week and go back the next to get redirection or a new task. It has worked out wonderfully. In addition, he has extra tools, so I did not have to go out and buy the equipment (line driving equipment...etc..)
    Good luck!
    The slower you go, the faster you get there!