Thread: Backfill for poles in a pole barn.

Backfill for poles in a pole barn.

Folks,
    Am wondering what everyone thinks about using either crushed limestone or crushed concrete for backfill into the holes of a polebarn style garage I'm planning on building this summer. I've come to the conclusion that most feel filling the holes with concrete is a no-no, though I see commercial buildings who do. I plan on sinking my poles(haven't quite settled on 4"x4" or 6"x6") about 4', mainly do to higher winds we can get here along the coast.

Steve
    Mobile, AL

Re: Backfill for poles in a pole barn.

Either the gravel or the broken concrete (I think gravel would be easier to work with) would work fine and give good drainage of moisture from around the post.

Why is concrete a bad choice? Because of accelerated rot on the poles?

I think I mistated. It seems as though most feel that filling the hole with SOLID concrete will hold mositure in and accelerate the rotting of the poles, but I see commercial entities pouring solid concrete around the poles.

Steve
    Mobile AL

I believe what you are seeing them pour is most likely a "collar" of cement that wraps around the pole to keep it from easily being pulled out.

Steve

I've set fence posts with wet concrete, even mail box posts. I would use treated posts, and drive a galvanized 12" spike through it 'bout a foot from the end that you put in ground. It helps give the 'crete something to hold to, and might be a bit stronger in the hurrican winds. If you drop a brick in the bottom of the hole (or pull up slightly on the pole after pouring the crete) it will keep the pole from being directly on dirt which might cause damage later (long term later with treated wood) Best of luck.
    roy

I'd recommend coating the ends of the posts that you stick into the ground with roofing tar. Brush it on liberally up to the top of the soil line, maybe a bit further. This will help keep water out, and provides additional protection against insects.

Larry