Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smooth bore .22

Smooth bore .22

I sure would like to find a smooth bore .22 (hmm, can't call it a rifle) uhh err ahh, long gun. I would prefer a repeater. In priority order an autoloader, pump, lever action, or bolt action. I would settle for a single shot but just barely.

I think I recall Gary or one of the other smart guys saying something about a minature trap shoot game or some such that used a smooth bore. When I was a kid there were smooth bore .22s around and still advertised but I have never actually used one and wold like to find one. I think I could have a lot of fun with one.

Any leads or sugestions would be greatly appreciated. I suppose I cold have a gunsmith un-rifle a barrel but it wouldn't be the same. The bore would be oversized and resullt in reduced velocity of the shot string.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Smooth bore .22

OK, I'm curious. Why would anyone want a smooth bore?

Smooth bore is better when using rat shot.
    Or bird shot.
    Or snake shot.
    Whatever they're calling it nowadays.
    I use .22 and .38 snake shot shells.
    Gary
    Bluegrass Music ...
    Finger-pickin' good!

I forgot about that, thanks, Gary. I never used the shot shells in rifles or pistols, but my old granddaddy sure killed a lot of birds out of his fruit trees with those in a .22.

I believe Marlin re-introduced a gun like that.

Here is a link to some information: Marlin 25mg

It's a bolt action. I seem to recall a 22 long rifle version too, but may be mistaken.

Here is another link to a review

Looks like fun! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Fishman

Bird,

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_0/m0B.../article.jhtml

Here is first paragraph of this link.

"Rimfire shot cartridges have been around for decades. They're fine for shooting snakes or mice-sized critters at close range, but deliver lousy patterns from a rifled barrel. At 10 feet (not yards), most .22 rifles throw a 7" or 8" shot pattern with several flyers. At twice that range, .22 LR shot loads aren't very effective particularly from a rifled bore."

Not too much left to say... I have fired shot shells from .22 rifles and pistols, .44 magnum, .357 magnum and .38 special and rifling is a detriment to good "printing" on a piece of paper at ranges yo expect to find useful. I have factory CCI shot shells that autoload just fine in my Baby Glock in .45 Colt Gov auto. Range iiisn't much to brag about but will slow down a big snake before it gets close enough to strike.

We have 4 bird feeders in back yard. They are messy eaters and the rats come out to get the leavin's but not within good range of a rifled gun with shot shells. Don't want to poison as birds or something uninteded will probably get killed. Don't like to use regular .22 for a couple reasons: potential bad bounce and small target running serpentine. 12 ga is a bit overkill.

Other targets will present themselves for wing shooting. I bet llarge grasshoppers would be fun.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Still curious as to why the rifling can't just be removed?
    In other words have the barrel drilled out to .22 as the rifling dia. should prove to be less than the .22.

Should be easy to check with calipers.

Egon

Pat
    I couldn't find all the info I was looking for, but I have had much better experience with the Federal Classic .22 long rifle bird shot than I did with the CCI .22 shot shell. I did find that there is #10 shot in the Federal. In fact, I couldn't believe what would not drop dead with the CCI, and then switched back to the Federal. I at first figured they were both the same.

Your argument about the smooth bore makes sense. However, I shoot ground squirrels regularly with the Feds at 10 yards.

Pat,
    I think I referred to the "Mos-keet-o" guns and outfits that were available back in the 60-70's. I saw a fellow with one at a gun show two months ago and inquired as to price. But he was asking $200 and I wasn't that keen on ownership.

You are right about perfomance in rifled barrels. I had tried the crimped loads and they did not do too well.

How about boring out the lands and swaging a choke on the last couple of inches? Or relieve the muzzle and internally thread it for home made "invector" style interchangeable choke tubes. Or just have the gunsmith make a new barrel?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Egon, There are lands and groves that constitute rifling. Protrusions and recessions. Just removing the protrusions would be an improvement but you need to have a "smooth" bore to print well. Just running a looooong drill through would surely ruin/remove the rifling but not leave a smooth bore of any size much less THE optimum size.