Thread: Galvinized buckes and waterers

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Galvinized buckes and waterers

A neighbor of mine told me that lead can be leached into the water from galvinized waterers and buckets if your water pH is low (acidic).

Is that true? I didn't even know that galvinized metal had lead in it. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Galvinized buckes and waterers

the galvanized coating is zinc. I can't rule out lead as an impurity. Also, the old buckets probably were put togather with lead solder. Hopefully, the newer ones aren't.

I have stayed away from the galvanized buckets because they will still rust out with wear and they can develop sharp edges. I like the black heavy rubbery buckets and stainless steel buckets.

Larry
    Larry

The buckets may have some lead in them but even if they did Rich there would never be enough to leach down into the water supply. I think that's a wives tale!

The old ones probably used lead solder. It's the zinc that makes it galvanized. I use rubber and plastic buckets but for stuff like poultry waterers you cant beat the galvanized fonts.

Gotta love those rubber buckets. They can freeze solid and never have a problem. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Steve

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

I primarily use the rubber buckets, but I have some galvinized ones, too, and I tend to grab whatever's closest when I'm in a hurry, which is all the time.

I already had replaced all of my galvinized chicken waterers, but I wondered if I should still use them in a pinch.

I talked to my cooperative extension, and their advice was the same as everyone said here. So I figure my neighbor was full of beans, but I just wanted to check.

Thanks for all the replies!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."